PDA

View Full Version : Offshore exploration

Professor
06-01-2008, 11:07 AM
Left Friday pm and went to the Coronados for the evening. Fished the middle grounds and South Island but only had a couple of Calicos to show for that effort. Bright and early we headed to just south of the 390 worked from there to the 238 before calling it a day. Lots of bait and a fair number of bonito but that was about it. Rough sloppy water made finding kelp difficult. Those that we did find were holding more bonito but that was about it. The bonito are eating two eyes and wiggle stuff and are ready to spawn. Not a lot of bird activity but the water conditions are pretty good as is the $2.45 diesel in Ensenada. When the door opens the fish will have lots of chow waiting for them but it needs a few more days or weeks.

Freespool
06-01-2008, 11:17 AM
Thanks for the report and puting the time in. I hope to be back out as soon as I get a bunch of maintenance done.

NoSlack
06-02-2008, 06:44 PM
How's the fuel dock work down there? Is it as simple as pulling up to the pump and asking them to top you off like up here?

Mike

Professor
06-03-2008, 05:24 PM
Yes except the dock guy gives you the paperwork and you go up to the office to pay. They do take credit cards. There is a surcharge if you are not staying there. All included it was 2.47 per gallon on 355 gallons. After Catalina all my trips are multiday and include a stop at Coral. With multiday You get to amortize the trip out and back over more than one day. If I have a heavy foot I get just a bit better than 1 mile per gallon. :eek:

Al Gagnon
06-04-2008, 09:04 AM
I heard that the president of Mexico was going to insure that the fuel costs were going to stay at the present price per gallon. Could the fuel docks impose their own extra charges, on top of basic fuel costs? Everyone seems to want to make a large profit on fuel prices. I read a blurb about France, Portugal, Spain and Italy's fisherman going on strike, due to prices of fuel. Some persons do not feel that it is going to make a difference. Sounds like the politicians that always say, that when the small guy goes on strike, only the small guy gets hurt. So many things going on around the world. Just my luck. Retire, buy a boat and everything goes crazy. Hard to enjoy a boat when it costs so much. I have been using my 10 ft. inflatable to fish in the bay, and having a fun time.

Professor
06-04-2008, 09:01 PM
He’s said that, but MX is swimming in red ink as a result as they do not refine any of their own crude and are supporting the price of diesel. Coral take credit cards which Pemex does not. Their mark up doesn’t appear out of line as they provide the facility and Pemex sells the fuel.

iclypso
06-05-2008, 11:22 AM
I have been using my 10 ft. inflatable to fish in the bay, and having a fun time.

Then I'd say you're doing better than some, Al! :D

Al Gagnon
06-06-2008, 12:50 PM
I have been enjoying the bay with my inflatable. Could not miss on Monday. 15 to 20 bass on a barbless lead head with shrimp Gulp bait. Much quicker to get the fish back into the water with out the barb, and no damage to the fish. . After fishing, we met the wife and grandkids at Shelter Island grass area for a BBQ. Son in law casting his new pole and reels it in from the beach. Gives his son, my grandson, 21 months, the pole. Looks at his Dad after reeling in about 5 yards, and says Uh Uh Dad, broken. His Dad brings in a 15 inch bass. Dad continues casting and fishing for natha. Calls his son again and has him reel in with back and forth movements, since the rig is way to big for him. Pulls in another legal bass. He must have the just right jerking motion. Funny as heck to see the look on his Dads face. Took the wind out of the Dads sails.

Professor
06-06-2008, 09:28 PM
I have been enjoying the bay with my inflatable. Could not miss on Monday. 15 to 20 bass on a barbless lead head with shrimp Gulp bait. Much quicker to get the fish back into the water with out the barb, and no damage to the fish. . After fishing, we met the wife and grandkids at Shelter Island grass area for a BBQ. Son in law casting his new pole and reels it in from the beach. Gives his son, my grandson, 21 months, the pole. Looks at his Dad after reeling in about 5 yards, and says Uh Uh Dad, broken. His Dad brings in a 15 inch bass. Dad continues casting and fishing for natha. Calls his son again and has him reel in with back and forth movements, since the rig is way to big for him. Pulls in another legal bass. He must have the just right jerking motion. Funny as heck to see the look on his Dads face. Took the wind out of the Dads sails.

Those are the times that memories are made of.