PDA

View Full Version : noise insulation

IRish Wake
06-11-2008, 04:22 PM
The silver coating is coming off the insulation on the underside of the engine compartment door.The underlying foam is rotten(its half in. thick).Steve recommends West Marine product.It would cost~$240.00.Would appreciate your input. kevin

Freespool
06-11-2008, 05:30 PM
I would like some imput on this also my boat is as loud as driving a D-8 Cat.

DOGHOUSE26
06-11-2008, 08:49 PM
I ordered mine through SD Marine Exchange, and used contact adhesive to put it on. I think Hijole ordered it online somewhere and saved $. Look in the archives

hijole
06-11-2008, 09:21 PM
I bought a roll of the sound proofing 20 years ago from Illbruck back east. No internet then just a recommendation from a friend. I couldn't stand the noise. I put it everywhere in the engine compartment and in the side storage areas. It worked the best when I glued a section on the back side behind the turbo (in the dead space) all the way up to the rod holder and then back down. The first time I started the motor I over ran the starter because it was so quiet.
I couldn't find the original Illbruck web site, it looks like they sold the company but I found a web site that sells Illbruck products for boats.

http://www.stopthesound.com/

IRish Wake
06-15-2008, 10:22 AM
Hijole,brought up the suggested web site and it looks like the way to go.Do you recall weather you used the 1/2in.or the 1in. material? kevin

hijole
06-16-2008, 08:14 AM
I'm not sure if the insulation shown on the web site I posted is the same, it maybe better than what I have.
The only recommendation I have is to put a section in the dead space above the floor, behind the turbo. I glued it on the back of the transom and then let it hang down down. It forms a pocket and deadens the noise. I can take a picture of it sometime this week if I didn't explain it right.

IRish Wake
06-17-2008, 05:09 PM
Hijole,
Here are two photos of the transom area of the engine bay. The lid is off the compartment where we have installed an inverter. It looks to me like you could form a pouch by gluing the material to the rear of the transom just beneath the fishholder and then attaching it to the rear of the panel. The rear of the panel with the cover removed is approx. 4 inches high. Would you glue it to that area? Your material is it 1 half inch thick or thicker? It accurred that just attaching insulation to the rear of the removable panel might do the trick. Has there been any problem with the overheating in that we would be blocking some of the the air availability to the engine?

Kevinhttp://www.bocaboard.com/data/500/P1010017.JPG
http://www.bocaboard.com/data/500/P1010018.JPG

hijole
06-17-2008, 09:39 PM
Sorry I can't comment on the inverter. Mine does not have the inverter there.
I have a piece of a flexible drain hose (used for draining water from an RV smaller diameter than on my dryer vent) attached to the end of the rod holder that goes down to the floor and lays alongside of the outside of the starter. That prevents saltwater from falling on the engine and turbo when you wash the back. It is attached to the rod holder tight with a clamp. Just as you said on your post, run the insulation on the back of the transom, poke a whole in it to push through the rod holder (attach the drain hose) and then as you say, come forward and then down behind the cover. The pocket forms on the top. It's been a long time but I think I put some adhesive on it stuck to the back of the cover.
I have a small opening on the top of the compartment on each side that draws air from just under the howling. On your pix it's about 12inches on the outside of both sides of your air vents but underneath. I used the same plastic flexible drain hose as on the end of the rod holder, from the top of each side and down at the floor level/top of engine. The hose is in the middle of the insulation on both sides. I don't have the air vents you have on the top and I've never had a problem with air or heating.
My insulation is 1 inch and soft rubber on one side and tin foil on the other. My insulation on the engine hatch is similar but not the same as what I bought.

IRish Wake
06-18-2008, 03:01 PM
Hijole,gonna try it.Trying to limit weight of engine door.Will let you know how it turns out.Thanks. kevin

hijole
06-18-2008, 08:16 PM
Good luck, be carefull when you go to start the engine the first time. You have to listen the first time because you may not be able to hear the engine start.

iclypso
06-19-2008, 12:18 AM
It may be worth it to check out McMaster-Carr before you buy the new insulation. Their website is pretty extensive and you might be able to find something to do the job for a lot cheaper than any marine store would charge.