PDA

View Full Version : Electronics Sea Trial

Nomad
06-21-2008, 06:35 AM
Couldn't make the Cat trip because of a meeting but did manage to get out for a while yesterday to sea trial the new electronics. I decided against the NavNet 3d because sources are saying there are problems with them and that's why they're not shipping. So I went with the tried and true NavNet 2 system paired up with the B260 1kw ducer. "Wow" is all I can say. The sounder is providing detail and clarity that I've never seen with my other systems. The NavNet 2 is such an improvement of my first Furuno hardware. Easy to use with amazing performance. Went to to SD Bay to try for some halibut. I metered bait here and there and would make a few drifts through the areas. Ended with 10 shorts (2 just missed by a 1/2"!) and one nice legal for the ice chest. Lots of action with each drift. Radio reports had what sounded like limited tuna action between the 371 and the 390 (with action sounding closer to the 390).

DOGHOUSE26
06-21-2008, 09:15 AM
Raytheon what? Forget the rest, Furuno's the BEST! Fishfinder that is.

Nomad
06-21-2008, 09:43 AM
I have to agree now that I've used them both. I've heard Furuno radar is also "best in class", any opinions on that??

Knot Now
06-21-2008, 11:05 AM
I have to agree now that I've used them both. I've heard Furuno radar is also "best in class", any opinions on that??

Let's compare sometime....that's if you will allow me on your boat...I promise not to "cook" anything. LOL

I have an E120 series with DSM300 and B260 transducer, so they should be a good comparison.

The 3D maps of the bottom are fun when fishing the "banks"

I don't have the RADAR completely tuned....I will need to hook-up the heading sensor, but mine works pretty good.....

DOGHOUSE26
06-22-2008, 01:11 PM

I think Furuno RADAR and the SONAR/FF units are the best in class bar none. I have a Furuno GPS on my skiff and I don't think it's as easy to use as my Garmin. With the Furuno you have to go through too many steps to get it to do what you want it to do which take time and distract you from seeing what's going on with the other equipment and/or your crew. I would bet 75% of the commercial fleet use Furuno and the other 25% is split among others brands. That's good enough for me!

Knot Now
06-22-2008, 03:45 PM
Furuno GPS: I don't think it's as easy to use as my Garmin.

My Garmin GPS (back-up) is better than my E120s GPS as far as tracking points and ease of use. I almost went with a complete Garmin system......I also heard a rumor that Garmin might buy Raymarine.

Phil

Nomad
06-22-2008, 06:47 PM
I had the 3D Raymarine stuff and although it was kind of neat it didn't really add much, I think the 3D stuff is more eye candy than anything else. Notwithstanding, 3D is will soon become the standard in chart plotting.

Knot Now
06-22-2008, 07:28 PM
I would agree that the 3D surface views and most subsurface views are of little use. I only found a use for the off-shore banks.
Phil