PDA

View Full Version : Oil change issue

DirtyE
06-25-2008, 04:22 PM
Howdy all, Well after my lower unit issue and prop issue, I finally have the "old Mac Attack" up and fishing well, My question is I tried changing the oil in my ad41 and it is equiped with a seperate tube for sucking th oil out, I was only able to get 6 quarts out before it started sucking air, any recommendation is this normal, ????? It would seem that the tube should go all the way to the bottom of the pan, do these tube have issue or break? thanks. Erik

DOGHOUSE26
06-25-2008, 04:34 PM
Make sure your engine is warm before you remove the oil; does your oil removal hose go into the extra tube or does it go over the outside of the sucking tube? It makes a difference, althoiugh I'm consider myself lucky if I get back 8-9 qts.

DirtyE
06-25-2008, 05:00 PM
I have a friend that has some old freon tanks and a A.C. charging system, we drew a vacuum on the tanks and plummed a hose to go over the tube, I didn't run the motor to warm up the engine, I assumed the tube would be longer?

Mac Attack
06-25-2008, 06:29 PM
Erik:

I always used the dipstick tube. I used the oil changer with the Jabsco pump mounted on top. I the motor run for 15 minutes or so, and never had a problem. Same with the Patron, I have always used the dipstick tube.

Mike

DirtyE
06-25-2008, 07:22 PM
So Mike did you run a tube down the dipstick or over the top of the tube. Thanks

Mac Attack
06-25-2008, 07:34 PM
Erik:

The plastic tubing went inside the dipstick tube. Takes about 20 minutes to siphon out the old oil.

Mike

DirtyE
06-25-2008, 07:59 PM
Thanks Mike, I figured that was the easy answer, but I was told by a mechanic that other tube was for pulling the oil out so I tried but didn't work so well. I guess I will be investing in one of those pumps. Erik

Professor
06-25-2008, 08:53 PM
Mike also has a second tube on the port side that gets more oil out than the dip stick tube.