PDA

View Full Version : Passport vs. no passport

firebc
06-26-2008, 03:34 PM
Okay, most of you probably already know the answer to this but I decided to call U.S. Customs (Otay Mesa) and ask if a small fishing boat needs a passport to fish anywhere in Mexican waters. The conversation went something like this:

Me: I have a 26' fishing boat and would like to know if I need a passport to fish in Mexican waters.

Him: You would need to contact the Mexican Government to get the answer to that, sir.

Me: I will do that on your recommendation, but I know that Customs checks boats on their return....do they check to see if you have one?

Him: Of course, you are required to have a passport when entering a foreign country.

Me: I guess that answers my question, thanks!

What an Ass!

Phil

Nomad
06-26-2008, 05:47 PM
our tax dollars at work

hijole
06-26-2008, 10:04 PM
I take mine on the boat when I remember to take it out of my truck since I usually go across several times each month.
I made a copy of my passport and I keep the copy on the boat if I happen to forget it in the truck. I've been stopped by customs in the water but they have never asked.
I think the issue is if we get off the boat and touch land or at least until they mandate it.

Al Gagnon
06-27-2008, 07:51 AM
I was told by a Customs officer, while standing on the Harbor Police dock, that if I travel 3 miles out, into International waters, I have to clear Customs. I hope someday we can get a few fisherman to clarify this, by going down and speaking to a Supervisor and have him or her, show us were it states that we have to clear Customs after 3 miles, or if we go into Mexican waters, or etc. They removed the sign at Harbor Police where it says that a boat must clear if making it into a foreign country, not entering into International waters. I am told that due to 911 things have changed. I think that Customs changes restrictions, then if they want to confiscate a boat , they can do it. If a person says they were not notified, Customs says" Ignorance of the law, is no excuse" It is always up to the individual to find out when the DMV changes rules, DFG changes rules, Customs changes rules, IRS, etc. That is why the abiding citizens must always hold themselves to a higher standard because the crooks do not abide by the law, and we have to pay for their crime. Sorry for ranting. Al

firebc
06-27-2008, 12:48 PM
I think much of it depends on who you ask. Like the IRS they can't be held accountable for misinformation. Still, if having one is the highest degree of safety you can have, then so be it. I'm getting mine today - or at least applying for one.

Might be a good topic for a Marlin Club meeting.