PDA

View Full Version : bellows replacement

IRish Wake
07-06-2008, 04:03 PM
In the midst of maintenance bellows replacement on 290 new 2000,never worked on outdrive.Can't move the pivot pins.we have a slide hammer which attempts to move the pin toward the outside.We also have tried punching it in to remove to the inside.The outdive is being supported via rope tied to the swimstep and we positioned in different elevations.Whaqt will move these pins? Dose it matter if there driven in or out to remove?

Honeygirl
07-06-2008, 09:58 PM
Between my boat, my old boat and friends boats I have probabay done 50 bellows jobs. Volvo recommends the bellows be changed every 200 hours or 2 years. I do mine every 500 hours which works out to be about once a year.

Let the drive all the way down. Place a block of wood under it so its just touching. Remove the bolts from the helmet pivot pin and remove the pivot pin. Turn the helmet all the way to one side. Make sure you have the two Allen removed that hold the right and left pivot pins in place. With the helmet turned, use a long BRASS punch and drive them out from the inside out. Only one time have I had to put heat to a set to get them out. The boat had been sitting for years after being kept in the water. Be careful not to damage the inside of the fork where the pins ride. I also always replace the nylon washers the the pins ride on. Once you get the pins out a little, you can use a pair if channel locks to wiggle them out. Make sure both belows, S tube, and shift cable, are disconnected. The drive may fall little. Just have a friend there to help balance it and help lift it off. If you have any questions, give me a call and I can be more detalied. Joe 562-810-9718.

Knot Now
07-06-2008, 09:58 PM
I removed mine by driving them in...I assume you have already removed the allen. I think I used my Large (8") C clamp and two sockets to apply static pressure, then I smaked it with my brass hammer. Once they started to move as I recall they came out fairly easily.

IRish Wake
07-07-2008, 09:22 AM
Really appreciate your advice.Will pass it on to my mechanic son and then get back to you. kevin

IRish Wake
07-16-2008, 04:48 PM
Well with a lot of effort the pins are out.Finally had to heat them,used a 4lb sledge.Thanks to Knot Now and Honeygirl for the guidance.