PDA

View Full Version : Another outdrive

Honeygirl
07-06-2008, 10:07 PM
Last trip I heard a strange noise and pull the the boat out to investigate. The noise is coming from within the drive. The oil looks great but I did have a small amount of metal shavings when I first pulled the plug. I'm going to do the tear down tomorrow. I'm hoping for the best but doesn't look good. I am going through a dive about every thousand hours and that's "NOT GOOD"

DOGHOUSE26
07-07-2008, 08:01 AM
Joe,

Volvo recommends re-shimming the gears every 100 hrs. ; I was getting about 1500-1700 out of mine until I started re-shimming. After about 2000 I lost a seal and ran pure saltwater until she blew.

noquestion25
07-07-2008, 11:05 AM
I am in the same situation. Funny noise, Sounds like a bearing whine. Change oil black with light metal shavings. 1200 hrs and bingo blown drive. Joe like you I am going through them once every 2-3 seasons. No bueno. Found out the DPH drive is more bullet proof and is only $10,000. Lots of OT for one of them. Who is doing your re-builds. I am having Kozwell doing the present one, PM me and I will give you there scoop!!!!!! I also know someone who has a 1:86 re-built lower drive for sale that is a smokin deal!

Josh

Honeygirl
07-07-2008, 08:51 PM
every 100hrs. ouch. During tuna season that could be once a month. The Volvo Tec. in the area dose side work. He is going to do this one. We pulled it apart today and one of the pinion gears has about 6-7 teeth missing. He seems to think its from a harmonic problem. I am going to check the props, engine alignment, and rebuild the helmet and steering shaft.

Wa Mei
07-07-2008, 11:39 PM
every 100hrs. ouch. During tuna season that could be once a month. The Volvo Tec. in the area dose side work. He is going to do this one. We pulled it apart today and one of the pinion gears has about 6-7 teeth missing. He seems to think its from a harmonic problem. I am going to check the props, engine alignment, and rebuild the helmet and steering shaft.

Sorry to hear Joe...I spent over $13k going over the drive, turbo, compressor, injectors and rebuilding the alternater early this season
on my KAD43 so I can definitely feel your pain. Is your Volvo Tec interested
in taking on additional side business? I sure would like to have his number if
he is.

Knot Now
07-08-2008, 09:53 AM
Joe,

Volvo recommends re-shimming the gears every 100 hrs. ; I was getting about 1500-1700 out of mine until I started re-shimming. After about 2000 I lost a seal and ran pure saltwater until she blew.

I think Jeff made a typo.......re-shimming at 1000 hours.
If your buddy would like additional work, let me know. I have a spare DP I would like to get rebuilt, so I can just swap it when the time comes.......
No hurry as I only have 550 hours on my "New" outdrive.

DOGHOUSE26
07-08-2008, 10:00 AM
yep,1000 hrs