PDA

View Full Version : battery placement

Honeygirl
07-09-2008, 02:59 PM
With the boat down for the drive work I am going to do some much need maintenance and a few upgrades. I am switching over to 6V, I currently run 3 group 31 optimas for the house power. 2 of them are about 5years old and 1 is about 2 years old. I should be getting 12+ hours out of house power, with the normal stuff running, frig, gps, running lights, bait pump Ect. But with just the bait pump and running lights on I am only getting about 6hrs.

1. Dose anybody have there batteries mounted in the V birth. With all the batteries on one side of the boat it tends to list bad.

2. If you are running 6v how many and what brand. I have been told US battery is the best?

Wa Mei
07-09-2008, 04:51 PM
Hey Joe,

I use 4 6v Trojans on a switch. Basically 2 sets of 12v.
I run on #1 all day and switch to #2 before I go to bed
to make sure the bait pump, GPS Alarm and anchor light
stays on. I hate having to worry about them.

I have a separate switch for the starting battery. Everything
is in the "all on" position when the boat is running to get charged.
The house bank also serves as a back-up just in I forget to turn
it off at night.

This set up has been great! I have stayed over the Cat or Clemente
Islands for 2-4 days without any problems.

Hope this helps...

With the boat down for the drive work I am going to do some much need maintenance and a few upgrades. I am switching over to 6V, I currently run 3 group 31 optimas for the house power. 2 of them are about 5years old and 1 is about 2 years old. I should be getting 12+ hours out of house power, with the normal stuff running, frig, gps, running lights, bait pump Ect. But with just the bait pump and running lights on I am only getting about 6hrs.

1. Dose anybody have there batteries mounted in the V birth. With all the batteries on one side of the boat it tends to list bad.

2. If you are running 6v how many and what brand. I have been told US battery is the best?

Knot Now
07-09-2008, 07:34 PM
I have 2 Costco 6V golf cart batteries.
They have served me well and all I needed to do is extend up the battery box with 1x2s and they fit right into the box. I though about using 4 6V batteries when I was using an inverter, but I an now using a honda 2000 generator. I do charge the batteries while cooking in the microwave and turn the refrigerator off overnight.

Honeygirl
07-09-2008, 07:55 PM
Thanks Guys. Are both your batteries in the orignia spot? Do you have any listing problems?

Wa Mei
07-09-2008, 09:17 PM
Thanks Guys. Are both your batteries in the orignia spot? Do you have any listing problems?

Joe,
I run a 26' Skippie so the configuration is different than yours.
My batteries are in the engine compartment, portside and I carry
40 gallons of fresh water on the opposite side so it balance out.

Freespool
07-09-2008, 10:19 PM

I am running four 12's in the original spot on a 26 billfisher and I also have all my spare oils and anchor in the same compartment. The boat does not list at all and the compartment on the other side is empty.

On two 12's I can go all night with anchor light, bait pump, vhf, gps, and the occasional house light and still be over 12 volts in the morning. I haven't run the fridge all night because it is old and it would do just that (run all night).

Knot Now
07-09-2008, 10:33 PM
I have a listing problem, but I just move my "Mother in Law" over to the other side. LOL

Actually, I have a bucket of "Lead" for bottom fishing. The boat lists to which ever side I leave it. When I am at the helm, it lists unless I am in front of the wheel.:D

My batteries are in the stock location. Sometimes I have 50 gals of Fuel on the starboard side of the fish hold. I just move the bucket to level thing.

Al Gagnon
07-10-2008, 08:35 AM
I was tired of worrying about overnight use so I bought a 2000 watt Honda generator and I do not worry any more. I start the generator, hook to my shore power, turn on the shore power, recepticle breaker, battery charger, and go to sleep. Keep the generator at the back of the boat. In a picnh, the generator has a battery charging function. I still have the old Honeywell 1984 motor generator inverter. Thinking on replacing it with a new 2000 inverter. Probably this winter. It works good but will only kick on if the load is large enough and the appliance has a switch. It will not start my digital microwave, unless I use some sort of a extra load.

Knot Now
07-10-2008, 10:58 AM
I was tired of worrying about overnight use so I bought a 2000 watt Honda generator and I do not worry any more. I start the generator, hook to my shore power, turn on the shore power, recepticle breaker, battery charger, and go to sleep. Keep the generator at the back of the boat. .

I put my generator on the bridge and I also have a "home" CO detector and it works...I have had the detector go off with generator on the deck.

DOGHOUSE26
07-10-2008, 01:54 PM
[QUOTE=Knot Now;6959]I have a listing problem, but I just move my "Mother in Law" over to the other side. LOL

LMAO I like it! But what do you do about the smell, dry ice doesn't last forever ! My Doghouse has a slight list to the battery side as well, more noticeable when the boat is low on fuel. Now that I have a new Furuno 1K transducer on the starboard side, it might be balanced now.

I'm just running 4- 12v Delco RV batteries which last all night for me with or without the fridge on (but the fridge would run all night anyway). I get about 3 yrs out of each set. I would be a little concerned running a genset all night with or without gas detectors; I have a Honda 1000 I keep on the bridge for overnights in case we run the squid lights. You don't need the switches Wamei uses, Blackmans have the automatic solenoid switch which keeps everything separated so unless you leave your key in the on position you should be OK. Time Out Russ has converted to 6v and he swears by it; maybe he'll give his thoughts to us.

Professor
07-10-2008, 06:16 PM
On the Patron I put a generator on the stbd side. Not only did it balance things out it solved the power problem. Two things that will get you thru the night (on the boat that is), Led anchor light and I plumbed the bait tank so that my secondary bait pump was a low amp pump. No good when running but ok on the anchor. If the primary pump took a dump during the day I changed valves and switches and it gave me time to change out the bad pump.

New boat has 4 class 31 AGM so I can party all night long. Do recommend looking at the AGM’s.

http://www.vonwentzel.net/Battery/

Time Out
07-10-2008, 06:24 PM
We switched to 6 volts in 2003. I have 4 interstate batteries we disconnected the Blackman relay switch. I installed a battery switch it`s worked great for all these years still using the same batteries. We also carry a Honda 2000 we use it for Squid lights and coffee. We can run all night refer,pumps,TV, lights and start the next morning on the same bank. Good luck with what ever you decide on.

Russ

Freespool
07-10-2008, 08:15 PM
I put my generator on the bridge and I also have a "home" CO detector and it works...I have had the detector go off with generator on the deck.

Does it set off the CO detector when on the bridge? I was going to put mine on the bridge but I was worried about the wiring conduit funneling fumes in to the cabin.

Knot Now
07-10-2008, 09:08 PM
Does it set off the CO detector when on the bridge?

I have never had the CO detector go off the generator on the bridge. I run it with the exhaust pointing toward the latter and the generator is in the pathway on the port side.

I was going to put mine on the bridge but I was worried about the wiring conduit funneling fumes in to the cabin.

Go point about the wiring conduit. Mine is full of wires, but maybe I should reconsider.....I also never run the generator overnight....