PDA

View Full Version : frustration

Honeygirl
07-20-2008, 09:50 PM
Over the past month I have been trying to figure out why in 3 years I have lost 3 outdrives. One thing I have found out is the marine industry is extremely cut throat and everybody thinks there the best and the other guy is worthless.
A little over 2 years ago I had some warranty work done on the at Blackman. The recommendation from Blackman was to replaced my aluminum props that were almost trash with new S.S. C3's. After I lost my last drive I took my props to be checked for vibration. Come to fine out the props are different. They are two different pitches one almost a C5 and ones a true C3. Now where do I start? What steps would you take? I am still waiting for a call back from Blackman at this time.

DOGHOUSE26
07-21-2008, 09:41 AM
The props should be stamped C3,C4, etc. that's the first check. When you got your boat back from Blackman were your old A4s in the new C3 box? The next check would be to get hold of Blackman and have them produce the P.O. or receipt from Volvo for your ordered props. But keep in mind unless the outdrive or SS props have never left your possession (ie when you had your drive repaired the 2 other times, they could have put the wrong props back on in theory) you don't have much to stand on. I hope Steve can help you with this. Who inspected the props this time?

Honeygirl
07-21-2008, 11:56 AM
The props are stamped C3. I talked to Steve this morning and hes going to look into it. The probs have never left my possession. My first thought is to get Volvo to cover the props then the outdrive. Its along shot but worth a try.

yellowfin1
07-21-2008, 03:04 PM
Hmmm,
I was interested in the stainless props a couple years ago but, I think it was Steve (could have been Mike) that talked me out of them. They said that the aluminum props provided better performance with the billfisher/DP 290.

Check w/ your insurance company on possible outdrive replacement. State Farm paid for mine when I got fishing line wrapped in the shaft and water penetrated the unit. I know it's a little different situation.

Scott

DOGHOUSE26
07-21-2008, 04:01 PM
I think and hope Volvo will cover it. There's no way you could ever hit something and change the pitch like that without noticable marks on the prop.
I just hope your prop tech is right in his findings on the actual pitch.

NoSlack
07-21-2008, 04:55 PM
I think Jeff is right, Volvo has to be the one to step up and make things right. Blackman was the middle man on the props, and the mix up had to be on Volvo's part.

Zack and I debated more than once about the numbers you were getting with a set of C3s. Now the mistery is solved. Was the big prop the C5?

Mike

Honeygirl
07-22-2008, 05:10 PM
Yep, the big prop was the C5. I will let you know when I hear back from Steve. It's killing me to see the boat sit in the driveway.

iclypso
07-28-2008, 06:42 PM
Sorry to hear it and I'd love to invite you out but it seems like we developed a steering problem of our own this weekend. What a rollercoaster!