PDA

View Full Version : Feels like I won the jackpot

yellowfin1
07-28-2008, 08:33 AM
Not a great report for those who are catching the albies, BFT, etc. right now but, it couldn't have been better for me. My 8 and 10 yr old boys have not really been into the surfing and fishing (my two favorite activities). The 8yr old has gotten seasick every time out. So Sunday morning I asked the boys if they want to go out fishing with one of their friends. Surprisingly they both said yes. We started at the s. end of La Jolla. 8yr old hook up on big barracuda, immediately followd by the 10 yr old. Both boys reeld in some logs. This continued for about an hour with several exciting moments for the boys and their buddy. Normally, I'd toss the cudas but, since they wanted to eat their catch I let them keep 1 each. Afterwards we scouted out towards the 9 hoping for possible exotics. Water was clear and we were greeted by hundreds of dolphins. The boys had a blast up on the pulpit watching the mammals zig zag under them. At one point a small dolphin kept tail slapping the water right next to the boat as if it were trying to splash the boys. Jigs were out the entire time but, no takers. Ventured into PT Loma kelp and topped the day off with a nice calico before returning to the dock. Nobody even got sick. Later that night after dinner at which the 8yr old bragged about catching the biggest fish, they both commented that those barracuda were the best fish they ever had! I know this fish report is lame but, it was definitely the best fishing trip I've had in a long time. I may have some new fishing buddies.

Freespool
07-28-2008, 12:29 PM
Way to go. It is always a blast to get the kids on fish.

NoSlack
07-28-2008, 04:08 PM
Barracuda is one of my favorite fish for making ceviche. Bleed it and ice it down right away and it's better than Dorado for ceviche. Tell those boys I'll give 2 bucks a log for some next time they get out.

Mike

1 lb Snapper fillets (cubed)
8 oz Lime juice
1 lg Onion; finely chopped
1 sm Jalapeņo pepper; chopped
2 md Tomato; finely chopped
30 Olive, green pitted
1/8 ts Cumin
20 Capers
1/4 c Cilantro, fresh; chopped
1/4 c Olive oil
Salt; to taste
Pepper; to taste
Oregano; to taste
Marinate fish in lime juice for 4 to 5 hours, until fish turns white. Drain; mix with all other ingredients. Serve chilled.

iclypso
07-28-2008, 06:21 PM
I don't think that report is lame at all. Glad everyone had a good time and hope they catch the bug. There's nothing I'd rather do than catch fish with my dad.

yellowfin1
07-29-2008, 08:04 AM
Yep,
I agree. Fishing with pops is the coolest!. Thanks for the recipe. I must say that I also thought that the cuda was outstanding. I did ice it down right away and as soon as I got home cut off the skin and trimmed away the blood line, rinced and patted it down with a paper towel. If you can get over that slime and smelly skin you'll be OK. Since these were fat logs, the 3 fish provided more than enough meat for two full meals. I guess I'll think twice before tossing them next time. Now it's time to head offshore!