PDA

View Full Version : DP-D Lower Duoprop Outdrive

Wizard
05-06-2004, 07:49 PM
Any leads on a good mechanic or place to get a rebuilt? Turns out mine is toast. And of course the fish are 'going off' within 30 when I've been chasing them 100 all Winter/Spring.

NoSlack
05-06-2004, 09:12 PM
Call Outdrive Exchange in Costa Mesa in the morning and have them order you a factory reconditioned one for less than $3K. Pick it up mid week and you're back in the game for the weekend.

Or you can have your's rebuilt for $2K+ and waist a few weeks of sitting on the beach.

Outdrive Exchange (949) 548-2044

Blackman can also order a lower unit for you.

Mike

Wizard
05-07-2004, 05:03 PM
Mike,

After talking to you this morning, I got an email reply from Sea & Ski. The guy had a good point that has me depressed. If the lower unit broke a gear, then there is metal in the oil in the whole outdrive. Sales job or reality? New whole outdrive or flush existing if tight? Dunno... wife is going to shoot me when I tell her. I wonder if my insurance covers me for damage due to striking object while under way? Hmmmm

NoSlack
05-07-2004, 06:03 PM
A buddy had his insurance pick up the tab when he busted a gear a few years back. Showed them the damage to the prop and that was all the proof he needed that it wasn't normal wear and tear.

If there is no damage to the upper gears or bearings, remove the upper gear housing and flush it out in a parts washer or with something like WD-40.

Let me know if ya need some help tearing it down.

Mike

Wizard
05-07-2004, 08:03 PM
Lower outdrive is off. All 3 gears toast (both shaft gears and pinion). Several teeth almost gone on all. Must have hit something on small shaft prop that took out a tooth and that was that. Metal on mag drain plug big time. Metal frags in intermediate housing inside bearings. Nothing worth saving imho. New outdrive time.

Bet the fish are around for awhile now.

Wizard
05-07-2004, 11:26 PM
http://www.momentoffame.com/snapshot.html?id=81813
http://www.momentoffame.com/snapshot.html?id=81812
http://www.momentoffame.com/snapshot.html?id=81811

:eek:

Wizard
05-10-2004, 11:18 PM
Is the Outdrive Exchange an authorized Volvo Penta service shop? I wonder if it's worth towing the boat up there to have a new outdrive hung on "The Reel One"? Sure wish Blackman's could do it, but.

I wouldn't mind buying the outdrive and hanging it myself, but I know if I get the outdrive from an authorized dealer, I get a year warranty. I assume they have to install it for the warranty.

I have one quote for $5,450 plus $299 installation, from Sea & Ski, but the guy says they are backed up (isn't everyone it seems?).

NoSlack
05-11-2004, 06:30 AM
My lower end has a year warrenty and I installed it myself. It would be worth asking it the warrenty is good no mater who installes it.

Are you just buying the upper and lower gear boxes? $299 sound like a real bargan to install a trannsom plate and a whole new drive.

Mike

yellowfin1
05-11-2004, 08:19 AM
Glenn,

Check your insurance policy. State Farm is covering me for damage incurred from the fishing line destroying the shaft seal and allowing seawater to intrude and damage the shaft and gears.

Scott (Tenacious)

DOGHOUSE26
05-11-2004, 09:35 AM
Glenn,

Was your prop nicked or bent when you pulled your boat out after the drive toasted? It could have started the damage in San Quintin on the ramp.

Volvo drives on Blackman 26s only last 1200 -2000 hrs at most before detonating unless you or your mechanic tear it down and check bearings and re-shim the gears to factory specs every 1000 hours. I know this from experience. I got the Volvo 2+4 year warranty with the repower so basically I didn't care for the first six years; I think I went through 2 drives in 3200 hours which is not unusual. However @ 3400 (6years+) I had Blackman tear it down and reshim and replace 2 main bearings for about $1200. Knock on wood but my drive sounds good and very little if any shavings on the drain plug every 200 hrs. My drain plug grew a beard on alot of those oil changes in the first 6 years !

It doesn't take much to make the lower end detonate; 26s are heavy boats and at the warp speeds and distance you travel it was bound to happen sooner or later with the heavy pressure applied to it. Just part of being a happy boat owner!

If you still have those San Quintin Props you cut off and show those to the Insurance agent I'm sure they will take care of it; just grease up when you get your next renewal policy ! :eek:

Wizard
05-11-2004, 10:55 AM
Well, I can't show anyone the damaged prop because it came off. Rear prop/cone gone. As for the SQ damaged props, had them rehubbed and reworked, so nothing to show there.

Moo Fish
05-11-2004, 03:09 PM
Let me nominate the Wizard for the BOCA Black and Blue Award, aka the Blackman Purple Heart. Tournament points need an engine hour factor and maintenance receipts along with the weigh tickets.

Oceanside Marine Center (located in the harbor) deals in the VP diesels and outdrives. Check with Buzz.....rt

NoSlack
05-11-2004, 06:10 PM
Let's not start playing favors for the guys that are having a hard time staying on the water.

Do you know how long it took me to find Jimmy Hoffa's body, then place him in just the right place that two of the top competitor would clip him? ;)

Mike

Wizard
05-11-2004, 08:57 PM
Hahaha... so it's Mike's fault? LOL

DOGHOUSE26
05-11-2004, 09:36 PM
Great Mike, I hope I'm not around when you're halibut drifting and you think you finally have that 50 pounder and up comes the rest of Hoffa on your trap hook ! You think floating seals stink?

NoSlack
05-12-2004, 10:18 AM
No more worries about anyone else hitting Hoffa. I got out last week and cleaned up the mess.

On a serious note, these DP outdrives are our week link. Don built a hull like no other, but we are still running the same outdrive you would find on a Bayliner. I've clipped a few things in my day and survived it with my old single prop. I don't think I'll be so lucky with the new DP.

Mike

noquestion25
05-12-2004, 10:19 AM
The guy who works there is a little spacey. But he is very fair, and reasonably priced. He will work hard to make you happy. The only prob for you is that he is up in Costa Mesa! I have had him help me out before, and I was happy. He sells my commercial fish bud a lot of parts and he has never had a complaint either. Good luck! I feel your pain.

No Question (JR)

Wizard
05-12-2004, 06:13 PM
Funny how you here some people say that Volvo Penta Outdrives are like an anvil, solid as a rock compared to old OMC or Bravo. Then other times you here otherwise.

Anyhow, seems I got lucky with my timing. Ray up and Outdrive Exchange had the exact gear ratio and model I need in stock waiting to fix some boat that has been delayed 4 weeks with other repairs. And, he is willing to hang it this Saturday morning, early, so I don't have to take it someplace and wait for them to order one then butt in line of some shop's seasonal backlog. Long drive/tow, but should be back in the water in San Diego by early afternoon.

Watch out, the fish will probably hear about it and leave the near banks by tomorrow night. :D

Maybe I'll fish in my slip a few weekends to get some hours on it before my next repair /LOL

DOGHOUSE26
05-12-2004, 10:56 PM
I still think Volvo outdrives are the best thing going right now even if it takes every cent you own to keep them running! Just tell your wife if she's not happy about it it's her choice where to spend the money; either the Volvo mechanic or a hitman for her, she'll get the picture. Mine did for awhile then she just "disappeared".

Sincerely,

Scott Petersen

Wizard
05-17-2004, 06:05 PM
Ok, get Hoffa's corpse out of my way (and any other foreign objects). New outdrive and props installed. Might be my imagination, but it sure sounds like it is running a lot smoother and 'tighter' then it ever did before. Towed it up to Costa Mesa at 6AM on Saturday morning, installed new outdrive, towed it back and launched by to my slip by about 3PM, after a test around around MB.

Was going to go out and fish it Sunday, but just not interested in anymore bumpy rides, marginal weather, or long runs again too soon. Hope the fish come in numbers closer soon. It's still early in the season.

Saw Doug (Capt Hook) heading out of Quiviara Basin and waved.

DOGHOUSE26
05-17-2004, 10:34 PM
I think my second drive after about 1000 hours just made this loose nuts in a beer can sound while underway; I took it to Blackmans and they checked it out and said it was OK. It detonated about 500 hours later! My last2 have been quiet (er) I guess, my current one is smooth however when I cut the engine and glide to a paddy I can hear the props and gears turn while in neutral. Like Don always said when I'd ask questions about this kind of stuff - "Just go Fishing!"

Glad your back up and running, Tuba should be back in business by Memorial Day.