PDA

View Full Version : Hey! I'm up here!

Pistolero
04-26-2004, 01:13 PM
Just registered on new website...looks good. I haven't navigated it much yet...but looks great so far. I haven't posted much, cause I didn't think SoCal anglers would be too interested on goings on up here in Monterey Bay..But I'll post once in awhile...maybe some, like me, have relatives at other end of state and fish both locales. Just had the third Blackman I know of move to NorCal. Welcome Bob on Dos Locos! I went out on Monterey Bay Sunday 25th and we got 7 salmon, largest 27 lb., for four anglers. Won't do SCal any good, but trolling with watermelon color apexes did the trick. Bob and his partner limited out drift fishing for them on Dos Locos, today, Monday 26th, in a few hours. With albies still at least a month away and rockfishing closed, we'll be catching and eating a lot of salmon for awhile. It's not yellowtail fishing, but a 27 lb salmon on 12 lb and a 10 1/2' GLoomis steelhead rod can be fun.

DOGHOUSE26
04-26-2004, 03:16 PM
Your report was very interesting, it's nice to get news from other places. Maybe one of us here in San Diego can swap original factory Blackman parts as needed for a salmon trip with you in the future and vice versa. I think you might be waiting a little longer for tombo than you think. :rolleyes:

Jeff Meeker

NoSlack
04-26-2004, 05:52 PM
Nice going on the salmon. I wish my old truck wasn't so tired. I'd love to tow up to that neck of the woods and try my hand at salmon fishing.

You guys up north need to think about getting in on BOCA fishing tournament. One #27 pound salmon would have you sitting in third place overall with some monster lings, rockcod and albacore still to come before the summer is out.

Mike

Nomad
04-26-2004, 05:59 PM
Post often! I love to hear reports from the Bay and need to catch a salmon on my boat for our little tournament down here (of course I have several other categories to fill in too!).

How far out are you having to go to get into the salmon?

Wizard
04-26-2004, 08:17 PM
I used to live in Marin (Novato). Had to escape. But I do miss the Salmon fishing. Got a friend flying in this weekend from San Jose to San Diego. Hopefully get him on some nice blue water (off that big stuff up there most days), and on some tuna.

Welcome to the board. Post often, make me remember dragging rotary killers or melon apex on the downrigger.

Dos Locos
04-29-2004, 08:35 AM
I grew up in Riverside, fishing from Malibu to San Diego and beyond, but now live in Northern California. I am having to learn all of the new fishing spots and local methods. I am still at the low end of the learning curve, but had Jose' (Pistolero) onboard a couple of days ago and picked up a lot of good information, not to mention 3 salmon limits. Thanks Jose'. Great to have you along. The salmon were scattered in several areas of the Monterey Bay, mostly near the Moss Landing area and just a few miles offshore. While the salmon fishing is outstanding, I am really looking forward to the albacore which should be around Monterey in alittle more than a month from now. And I'm told they come within 25 miles! That's great news when you are use to going 60 to 100 miles on the 180 to find them. If the group is interested in NorCal albies, I'll post when they arrive. Jose' is a great source of info for the Monterey Bay area. He has fished it for many years. I am about 200 miles inland between Monterey and Bodega Bay, so I will be dragging the boat wherever the fish are between those points. There is another BOCA member (John Rosales with a 26' Billfisher "Rosie") who fishes the San Francisco Bay, Bodega Bay areas and has also provided me with great information.

Bob

Wizard
04-29-2004, 11:33 AM
We used to chase the Albacore out of Moss Landing when 60 degree water came up far enough. About a 30 mile run offshore to the 601 seamount. But that normally was only for a short period (4-6 weeks), and wasn't until late Sept. or October.

Pistolero
05-17-2004, 03:25 PM
We used to chase the Albacore out of Moss Landing when 60 degree water came up far enough. About a 30 mile run offshore to the 601 seamount. But that normally was only for a short period (4-6 weeks), and wasn't until late Sept. or October.
Yeh!...love to hear there's interest for our fishing up here.....New salmon school just moved into Monterey Bay. They killed them Friday... 5/14 I'll be going out in the next few days...I'll advise. Albacore scouting trips have been going on about every week or two.... Only giant squid produced so far... that was about 33 nm from Monterey in 58 dg water.