PDA

View Full Version : Family fishing inner banks 8/12

yellowfin1
08-13-2008, 02:24 PM
BOCA,
Brought the wifey and two boys out for their first offshore adventure this season. Unfortunately our tuna plan was foiled when both boys got seasick before reaching the 302 area. One pleaded to return to port. He tried twice to get me to turn around. I didn't tell him but, if he asked 1 more time I was going to turn around. We saw a few paddies in the area and trolled by them and got a few smallish dodos followed by some even smaller do do,s (cute little buggers). Finally after a few troll fish we threw some bait and got the boys and wife all hooked up simultaneously. I really wanted to do this so that they could feel the excitement and chaos of a wide open bite. They all did great. I couldn't believe that they were following their fish and communicating with little coaching. Little dodo's were boiling all around on the chum. Unfortunate that the fish were so tiny. After they each reeled in a couple fish it happened. He asked for the third time! OK, at least they got to catch fish. We trolled towards the 9 and picked up a few more dodo's and 1 12lb class YT. Three miles west of the 9, my wife spots a fin and calls me up to look. She says big mola. I look and see a dorsal fin , then a tail well behind the dorsal. Upon closer look it is a very large swordfish. I start to shake and grab my 30SW with fresh 50lb and a 150lb mono leader. Look in the bait tank but, only medium size sardines but, we give it a try. I could not really throw the dino far enough to get it in front of the big fish with the 30SW so, I dropped the bait back 50 yards and dragged it slowly in front of the nose. Tried it 3 times and each time it seemed to look at it and turn away! Had to watch it swim away. Damn, I need a harpoon! Wrapped up an early day with no tuna but, kids had fun despite seasickness. Will not post dodo's as they were too small to weigh (maybe biggest was ~7lbs).

fireescape
08-13-2008, 05:00 PM
Great day Scott..... nothing better than being on the water with the family, and a few fish to boot! have you tried scopace, ask your MD. they work great for my son. zack

yellowfin1
08-14-2008, 06:42 AM
I've heard of it but, have not tried it. I think I'll give it a try. Thanks for the tip. Good fishing to ya.