PDA

View Full Version : Beautiful Day on the water 8/23

yellowfin1
08-24-2008, 10:01 PM
Saturday was a beautiful day on the water. Eased out of MB with all of the other boats at 0430. Great bait, nice medium size deans with three 8" mackerels. Trolled around the porpoise just outside of the 9MB with no luck. It looked like there were some good meter marks down at 100' or so under the pod. Continued toward the 302. Never had a moment when we had less that 5 or 6 other boats around us. Heard reports of lots of small albies west of the 302 but, was hoping for some YFT. Reached the 302 and continued West. It wasn't until about 1:00PM that we got some action on some puddling skippies. It was fun to catch them on bait but, not what we were looking for. Turned towards the 182 and upon approaching the ridge we were greeted by a huge pod of porpoise with 5 boats working them. Trolled tuna clones and cedar plugs all around them but no takers. Finally we started metering the big marks below and positioned ahead of them and threw out some dinos. Not having caught a YFT over 7 lbs (last summer), I was really happy to set the hook on a little beefier model. After a few minutes of fun I sunk the gaf into a nice 23 lb'er. My crewmember was not very proficient throwing a bait so, I hooked a fish for him then another. With our targeted species in the fish hold we trolled back to the 9 with no more action but, what a beautiful day on the water. Put about 90 miles on the boat and burned 34 gallons. Gotta love that. Mike would you mind adding a few points for my 23lb'er. Picture is on the board.

Wa Mei
08-25-2008, 05:19 PM
awesome...I was at the 267 and the 209; had no luck likeI had last week.
I did hear that some boats were doing well at the 182, but did not want
to head that far south from DP. I will be in the big pond again this weekend
for 3 days; most likely at Cat or San Clemente Island.

Saturday was a beautiful day on the water. Eased out of MB with all of the other boats at 0430. Great bait, nice medium size deans with three 8" mackerels. Trolled around the porpoise just outside of the 9MB with no luck. It looked like there were some good meter marks down at 100' or so under the pod. Continued toward the 302. Never had a moment when we had less that 5 or 6 other boats around us. Heard reports of lots of small albies west of the 302 but, was hoping for some YFT. Reached the 302 and continued West. It wasn't until about 1:00PM that we got some action on some puddling skippies. It was fun to catch them on bait but, not what we were looking for. Turned towards the 182 and upon approaching the ridge we were greeted by a huge pod of porpoise with 5 boats working them. Trolled tuna clones and cedar plugs all around them but no takers. Finally we started metering the big marks below and positioned ahead of them and threw out some dinos. Not having caught a YFT over 7 lbs (last summer), I was really happy to set the hook on a little beefier model. After a few minutes of fun I sunk the gaf into a nice 23 lb'er. My crewmember was not very proficient throwing a bait so, I hooked a fish for him then another. With our targeted species in the fish hold we trolled back to the 9 with no more action but, what a beautiful day on the water. Put about 90 miles on the boat and burned 34 gallons. Gotta love that. Mike would you mind adding a few points for my 23lb'er. Picture is on the board.

NoSlack
08-25-2008, 06:23 PM
Good job on the YFT Scott. Looking forward to getting out and chasing a few porpoise myself.

Mike

2008 Leader Board (http://members.cox.net/noslack/Leader%20Board%202008.htm)