PDA

View Full Version : Floscan info

NoSlack
08-25-2008, 01:58 PM
Called Floscan's tech support today to get a few answers on Kevin's problem. The rep basically said if you're running and older unit with a 265(green top) sensor, plan on it failing if you use low or ultra low sulfur diesel.

The 265 is one of the early sensors and the diaphragm isn't compatible with the new diesel. No replacement sensor in the works, you need to pony up and buy a new system. Oh happy joy, break out another hand full of Franklins.

Mike

Heron
08-25-2008, 07:38 PM
Mike,
My system was installed in 2006. When did the "old sensors" get upgraded. The indicator is unreliable. The total gallons is about 1/2 the actual consumption and gph indicator sometimes registers but other times nothing. I have no confidence in the system. Could this be a sensor problem? bill

NoSlack
08-25-2008, 09:21 PM
My guess is the 265 was phase out about 10 years ago when they went to the pulsation damper/sensors combo. I've never set up one of the newer systems like you have, but I hear there's a lot more calibration to do to get it to read right, and they are very picky when it comes to the way you mount the sensors and wire them up.

If you don't have the installation manual, download one from Floscan and look over your installation and re-check the calibration before you throw in the towel on a newer unit.

Mike

IRish Wake
08-26-2008, 10:40 PM
Mike,I enjoyed our meeting.I found the receipt for the Floscan-May1997.I'm undecided wether to give up on floscan.Thanks for your "beyond the call"assistance. kevin&David

NoSlack
08-27-2008, 11:04 AM
Kevin

See how that thing acts next time you're in the water. The guy said the older units don't read right until you put a load on the engine. Your return sensors can't be callibrated so it could be giving false readings unloaded. Under load he expected it to act much different if the 265 sensor is still working.

I talked to David about re-doing some of the electrical connections to see if that would correct some of the goofy stuff we were seeing when we fisrt ran the boat.

Mike

Honeygirl
08-27-2008, 07:00 PM
I have a Flo-scan on my boat that I installed myself in 2006 and love it. It works great and I have had zero problems with it. I consulted Backman when I did the install and they lead me in the wrong direction. Flo-scan is very particular in the mounting of the dampeners,the wiring used and the connections. if you have any question fell free to ask. Joe

Heron
08-29-2008, 09:09 PM
Mike,
I read over the installation manual. I will verify the actual next time I am at the boat. The calibration may be the only issue. I am guessing that it was never set up. I will go through the calibration procedure and see what happens. I need to keep track of gallons for a couple of fill ups and compare with the totalizer.

Joe,
what was your experience with calibration?

Honeygirl
08-29-2008, 09:24 PM
Kevin, I got lucky. I followed the instruction to the T and it was calibrated the first time around. The instructions are for someone a lot smarter than me
(LIKE MIKE). They were not very user friendly, but we got it right. It has never been off more than a tenth of a gallon when I fill up. I don't know which unit you have but I know people who have hooked the tac up wrong and the unit wouldn't calibrate. I know Zack is having problems with his GPS signal to his floscan.

yellowfin1
08-30-2008, 05:45 PM
I have the older analog flo scan in Tenacious. A couple years ago I had problems with one of the sensors. After calling the floscan techs and having them walk me through some tests with the voltmeter I determined that sensor on the pickup side was bad. Replaced that sensor and my totalizer has always been within 3 percent accuracy. After doing that long trip with Yale (Cedros), I gained alot of confidence with that thing.

IRish Wake
09-04-2008, 07:25 AM
Kevin

See how that thing acts next time you're in the water. The guy said the older units don't read right until you put a load on the engine. Your return sensors can't be callibrated so it could be giving false readings unloaded. Under load he expected it to act much different if the 265 sensor is still working.

I talked to David about re-doing some of the electrical connections to see if that would correct some of the goofy stuff we were seeing when we fisrt ran the boat.

Mike

Mike,We ran the boat and low&behold it seems like under load its working.GPH seemed to correlate with RPM.Will keep you updated as we're able to evaluate it on longer trips. kevin