PDA

View Full Version : Found more termites on my boat!!!

Al Gagnon
09-05-2008, 09:41 AM
Well, got my boat tented last year for termite damage, parked it next to a friends house across the street. They said it should be ok for a few years. Well it was moist and hot in Lemon Grove yesterday, went out to let a guy look at giveing me a quote to clean up the engine room and paint both engines. Lifted the engine covers and see 2 to 3 termites walking around on the trough, crushed the suckers. While talking to him I see two more critters and crushed them with a smile and yet a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach. I guess it was too hot in the wood and they came out to sun bathe. Sprayed the areas were there was previous damage and will check today at high noon. Anyone have a similar experience? Hate them bugs. I do know that ants are termites enemies. Last year when I had the termites, I would see ants allover the boat. When the guy came to give me a quote he sai that the ants eat the termites. I would watch as the ants would go into the termite tunnels and pull the termites out by the butts. Sooo, I should plant some ants on my boat to start the killing process.
Later.

DOGHOUSE26
09-05-2008, 09:52 AM
Could you isolate the infested area with visqueen and duct tape and then use those insect flea bombs from Home Depot to kill the survivors?

Al Gagnon
09-06-2008, 08:51 AM
I have not been able to find the droppings yet. There is one area but I think it was someleft over from before. Thanks for the idea. I will consider when I identify the correct area. I will call the Termite people and ask them what I should do.

yellowfin1
09-06-2008, 09:03 AM
Termites! That sucks. Had them...tented two years ago , and haven't seen them since. One thing that I think helped me was to replace a few areas of plywood with starboard. Is it possible that the termites which you saw were just new arrivals looking for somewhere to burrow into? Hopefully the treatment which you had done was effective and either they are new arrivals which will not enter the treated wood or maybe they are the ones that were living in your boat and the treatment is just starting to seep into the area where they were forcing them to vacate?

Al Gagnon
09-07-2008, 08:37 PM
I tried to find out if anymore were around. I did notice some termites, with wings, that landed where I put some rust buster. They were dead, so I must have some new arrivals. I will continue to monitor for droppings. I pray that they do not start again. I guess I will try to find someone else tenting there house and pay some of there cost to tent my boat. Oh well, after the Marine Life protection meetings pass tighter restrictions were we can fish, I will have to move the boat to Mexico to fish. Maybe they do not have termites down south.