PDA

View Full Version : Sumlog Speedo

Import Manager
05-09-2004, 09:39 AM
#0, Sumlog Speedo
Posted by Captn_Hook on Nov-26-03 at 06:03 AM

LAST EDITED ON Nov-26-03 AT 08:17 AM (PST)

I have chosen to replace my sumlog speedo with a new navman speedo temp unit. I took out the old unit and wanted to put the new tranducer hole over the top of the old hole making it larger. Once I did this, I found that now I am up against the hull stringer and cannot screw the nut over the top of the new transducer. It looks like the origional installation was messed up at the start with globs of glass and resin built up on the stringer hindering my installation. My question too the gurus is this. should I fill in this new hole 1 5\8 or try to get in there and grind away the globs of glass in my way. Even if I can get the glass and resin out of there, I will still have to trim a flat spot on the transducer nut so it will fit against the stringer. At that point, I will need to tighten the whole thing from the outside which will be a chore as well. So, anyone fill a hole that large and how did you do it. Is that west system stuff any good and will it stick to a polyurathane resin hull. Is filler and glass ok or does it need to filled with all glass. Lastly, does gel coat for color stick to epoxy? Any info would be great. I am also looking at using a dremmel tool to try and grind the side of the stringer from the outside in. I would have to grind through the hole and off to the side from the outside. It is just too tight in the engine box to get to the stringer. Thanks guys. Doug- P.S does anyone want the old sumlog gage. It is rather new (been replaced once) the senser unit on the stern is toast due to my demolition tactics. I will donate the gage unit for free to a good home. It works fine and looks good too.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#1, RE: Sumlog Speedo
Posted by Yellowfin1 on Nov-26-03 at 08:03 AM
In response to message #0

Doug,
Sounds like fun. Just put a sticker over it. Of course I'm kidding but, I've also got an old flasher transducer that I want to remove and I will have to plug the hole too. Sorry I have no experience with plugging holes. Oh god this is starting to sound weird.
Steve Blackman can tell you how to do it, I think he's plugged many a hole.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#2, RE: Sumlog Speedo
Posted by Captn_Hook on Nov-26-03 at 08:14 AM
In response to message #1

I did call there and got Don on the phone. He was kinda short with me. I think I am just mouse nuts to him. He has much bigger fish to fry. Thanks anyway, I will let you know how this project turns out.

#3, RE: Sumlog Speedo
Posted by NoSlack on Nov-26-03 at 08:33 AM

If you hand a smaller diameter nut made, could you spin it on? If that would work, I would use a washer with a flat side and then install the smaller diameter nut. If you need a nut made let me know and I'll see if my Bro in-law can whip one out on the lathe.
I installed the same unit last spring on my boat and love all the features. The only thing I will suggest is covering the sensor with a layer of expanding foam if it is in the engine box. I found the temp sensor was not mounted close enough to the tip and was affecter buy the engine temp.

Mike

#4, RE: Sumlog Speedo
Posted by Saltwaters on Dec-01-03 at 07:59 AM

LAST EDITED ON Dec-01-03 AT 10:06 PM (PST)

I'm not a fiberglass expert but I think I would first make a plug that fit the 1 5/8 hole and bond it using 5 minute epoxy. (remove all excess 5 min epoxy) Now, use a hole saw to drill the hole where it really belongs. Then you don't need to do any grinding in the engine space where access is limited.
After you have the correct sized hole in the correct location, use polyester resin and cloth (cloth is optional if the area is small) to coat all exposed wood, including the hole through the transom. You can add a coat of polyester gelcoat to make your repair look the Blackman's did the job.

Bill on Tunacious