PDA

View Full Version : Boat accident and repairs 30 ft Balckman

Al Gagnon
10-13-2008, 02:01 PM
I got a quote from Steve at Balckman, for the boat repair after an accident in SD bay by the bait barges. Was hit by a boater. He has no insurance for his boat or mine. The Report was picked up today. It said he was responsible and he was going 15 mph. The damage was $2905.00. Small claims court maximum is $15000. The Guy said he will not pay Blackmans quote. He wants me to take the boat to his repair person. Any ideas. My insurance Co. is $1200 deductable. My plan is to get what is fair, in his mind, and do what I need to do to get the remainder. Anyone have any legal advice or just your perception of the problem?

Malu Lani
10-13-2008, 07:51 PM
I was told that you have the right to have repairs done at the place of your choice.this was not your fault why let that dummy take your boat and let some cheap guy do the repairs.

Wa Mei
10-13-2008, 11:24 PM
I got a quote from Steve at Balckman, for the boat repair after an accident in SD bay by the bait barges. Was hit by a boater. He has no insurance for his boat or mine. The Report was picked up today. It said he was responsible and he was going 15 mph. The damage was $2905.00. Small claims court maximum is $15000. The Guy said he will not pay Blackmans quote. He wants me to take the boat to his repair person. Any ideas. My insurance Co. is $1200 deductable. My plan is to get what is fair, in his mind, and do what I need to do to get the remainder. Anyone have any legal advice or just your perception of the problem?

It's your boat and base on CA laws, you can take it to who ever you want.
The adjusters make sure the place you are taking your boat to are legit and the quote is fair.

I don't know about your insurance and I am going to have to check on my
boat insurance now, but I have un-insure motorist in my car for situations like this and there are no deductible if the accident is not your fault.

This crap really pisses my off! I am sure you are as well. If they can own a boat, they can buy insurance. That is crap. I wonder if the guy even loose his license for this.?!

Good luck with the repair, I would go with a place you are comfortable with.

DOGHOUSE26
10-14-2008, 07:45 AM
You can take it to the repair facility of YOUR choice; and you don't need 3 estimates either. It's even better when you take it back to the original manufacturer. I'm not sure about the 15,000 max @ small claims, I thought it was $5000. You'll probably have to pay for it yourself and then go after him in Small Claims; but I would check with the Coast Guard and California DMV to see if there are any Financial Responsibility Laws pertaining to your accident, maybe you can threaten him with a point on his license and he'll come around and do the right thing.

Al Gagnon
10-15-2008, 11:27 AM
The guy gave me his bid, that he got from someone in Lakeside. $650. I will have to go through my insurance and pay my deductable $1200. My insurance will go after him for the money and if they get the full cost, I think then they will reimpurse me. Tim ewill tell. I would then take him to small claims for medical or get a lawyer. Life sucks some times and you have to make lemon aid with the lemons. I will post what happens in a few months. Thanks for all of your support posts.
Al

Nomad
10-15-2008, 08:41 PM
Invite him to the BBQ, we'll settle it the old fashion way.

iclypso
10-19-2008, 09:22 PM
Good luck, Al. Don't compromise on the repair, to the fullest extent allowed by law. I couldn't imagine anything worse than being offshore and feeling uneasy because of some half-hearted repair.