PDA

View Full Version : Mexican waters

Import Manager
05-09-2004, 09:42 AM
#0, Mexican waters
Posted by NoSlack on May-29-02 at 10:26 AM

There was a question asked on the AMS web site about Mexico's territorial waters and who that pertains to Fishing permits and US Customs.
This was my response:
I made a trip over to Semarnap (Mexican Dept. of Fisheries) to clarify their rules as they pertain to the waters of Mexico. They have 3 envelopes covering the coastline. The 12-mile zone is territorial waters (12 mile from any land) and US Customs would require us to check in if we enter that area. The 50-mile zone is for sport fishing only (no foreign commercial fishing). The last zone is the 200-mile economic zone.

You must have all your Mexican fishing permit all the way out to the 200-mile zone. Don’t think you are going to save a few bucks on permits by just staying out of the 12-mile zone. The only advantage of staying clear of the 12-mile zone is you may legally skip the U.S. Customs check.

The wat I see it, if I leave Mission Bay and set a cource for the 224, then turn south to the tuna ground I have skirted the outside edge of the 12 mile zone and don't have to check in on my return.

Mike

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#1, RE: Mexican waters
Posted by Nomad on May-29-02 at 12:38 PM
In response to message #0

LAST EDITED ON May-29-02 AT 12:40 PM (PST)

Mike,
Regarding the 12 mile line, was that the Mexican perspective and do you think US customs will agree. I have found the whole customs thing to be a moving target. I called DFG and they told me all I needed to do was to send in the required form detailing the fish caught in Mex waters within 3 days. No need to stop or call. But that was DFG and customs may have a different opinion as well. Staying outside 12 miles will be a breeze when fishing Tuna, thats great news!
PS: Is there any relevance of the 12 mile zone to filleting fish in Mexican waters? It would be great to be able to legally fillet fish outside that zone.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#2, RE: Mexican waters
Posted by NoSlack on May-29-02 at 01:56 PM
In response to message #1

All of the Mexican fishing regs apply form 0-200 miles out.
The DFG wants a Declaration form for your catch you bringing into the state. I fill out a form every trip, if they don't meet me at the dock to pick it up, I just file it when I get home.

US Customs is telling people that you only need to check in if you enter the 12 mile zone.

Mike

#3, RE: Mexican waters
Posted by Nomad on May-29-02 at 02:20 PM
In response to message #2

OK Mike, thanks for the tip. Will make things much less complicated when staying outside the 12 mi zone.

yellowfin1
05-10-2004, 09:40 AM
Mike/Charlie,

The United States recognizes a maximum of 12 Nautical Miles as a Territorial Sea limit for any country in the world. This was an agreement by the international community in accordance with the law of the sea established in 1972. Most countries claim the 12nm limit however, some only clain 3 miles.
Other countries try to claim as much as 100 miles by drawing a line from one point to another across a bay and claiming all of the water within those points as territorial seas. Remember Kadaffi's line of death?
I'm glad that Mike has brought up the fact that the US Customs laws states that vessels entering a foreign port or territiorial sea must clear customs upon return to the U.S. I thing that a lot of folks fishing the tuna grounds are unnecessarily reporting to customs upon return.
BTW, technically the 12 mile limit extends seaward from the Coronado Islands but, as you know this means that if you leave San Diego bay you are within that 12nm area. This does not apply. You need to refer to the international boundary listed on the approved NIMA charts.
Thanks Mike for bringing this up.

DOGHOUSE26
05-10-2004, 10:48 AM
I think the 12 mile territorial limit applies to exclusive waters; we also have our own 12 mile territorial water limit which overlaps Mexico's. Their limits are only exclusive outside the twelve mile radius, just short of North Coronado Island on out. Their radius extends from the islands outward, the 302 is 3 miles outside the territorial waters. That is now one of my waypoints on my homeward track from down south; from there you should be able to skirt the Mexican territorial waters heading back up to Mission Bay and escape customs. I'm waiting for To The Limit to prove it in court! :confused:

Sleigher
05-11-2004, 12:38 PM
Is there a court case pending on "checking in" with customs?
To me it seems that people actually, in some sort of odd way, want to check in. Almost like it makes it a bigger deal or they feel more important by "clearing customs."
"Foreign place" to me means landfall.
I recently Emailed customs and after three or four auto-answers, received a reply that said it was up to the port director as to whether driving around offshore required someone to check in.
All I know is that I have been on dozens and dozens of overnight trips from San Diego and I never had to bring a passport or fill out any customs documents. Why should I have to if I am driving the boat?
The cost of fuel is really irritating me too! (While I am feeling like a good rant).

Peter

DOGHOUSE26
05-11-2004, 01:21 PM
Things have changed alot since 911; I'm just predicting Dan will be the first to fall.

Wizard
05-11-2004, 02:26 PM
All I know is that I have been on dozens and dozens of overnight trips from San Diego and I never had to bring a passport or fill out any customs documents. Why should I have to if I am driving the boat?

They are 'winging it', plain and simple. I don't see a SINGLE party boat stopping at Customs, but they were happy to do $4,280 damage to my boat 3 miles off Point Loma when they stopped me to tell me to go to Customs (where I was already heading), then wanted to board me.

DOGHOUSE26
05-11-2004, 03:14 PM
All commercial party boats and 6 packs are exempt; they must keep a daily passenger log. Go figure. :mad: