PDA

View Full Version : BBQ ????????????

fireescape
10-13-2008, 09:38 PM
Hey guys..... Do we want to have A BBQ this year? looking for input... zack

NoSlack
10-13-2008, 09:55 PM
Put me down for onion rings. If you want fish and chips, I might have to go fishing and catch something before we can get together.

Mike

DOGHOUSE26
10-14-2008, 07:35 AM
The Grand Poo-Bah needs to pick a date.......

yellowfin1
10-14-2008, 08:22 AM
Do we want to have BBQ??? Of course we do. Where else can we sit around and drink beer, eat good fish, and talk about one of our favorite subjects. I'm in. Maybe this year we need to do a Blackman fishing outing like a week before the planned BBQ day. This way we could all contribute to the fish fry AND it could also be considered the FINAL day of the Annual tournament.

Whatya think?

Nomad
10-14-2008, 06:39 PM
OK Boys, we need some suggestions on how to improve the BBQ. Seems like in the past we set up, eat and breakdown way to fast. Lets start with the basics, Saturday or Sunday? We usually have it on Sunday but I think that may be part of the problem with everyone gearing up for Monday. Maybe we go for a Saturday with a later start so we can go a bit later. Maybe have it on the dock so we can be closer to the boats (after all, BOCA owns J-dock now. Jeff can give us hi speed rides on the Doghouse too! Any other ideas?

Unfortunatly, no jackets this year as the vendor won't do single runs anymore. Maybe we need to talk about changing up the tournament too. Anyway, let me know what you guys think and we'll start the process. I'll start a separate signup thread for RSVP's and the grub!

NoSlack
10-14-2008, 08:28 PM
I can stay all night if I leave the wife at home or make her drive her own car.

Won't make that mistake again.

Mike

Knot Now
10-14-2008, 08:45 PM
I am in

yellowfin1
10-15-2008, 08:20 AM
I like the idea of Saturday and going a bit later. I like the food spread that we have all contributed to in the past. We should keep that going. Some of you guys get pretty fairly with the dishes. I'm still dreaming about those crispy fish tacos and lobsters which have been contributed in the past. Some other ideas:
1. Fishing seminars- Anyone know someone who knows how to fish? Maybe a squid making seminar by those in the club who know how to do it.
2. Maybe we could get a special guest speaker like Steve Blackman to talk about some history of the Blackman boats and the direction that he is going with the boats. Maybe some helpful insight on Blackman boat maintenance?
3. Maybe we could get a fish and game person to stop by to review rockfish regulations, or a customs agent to review checkin procedures. A lifeguard or Coastguard representative to review alcohol and boating regulations?
4. Maybe we could have some specific topics to discuss and assign a czar to lead the group in the discussion. Example: Mike could lead the group in discussion about secret halibut spots (like that's gonna happen)? Long range trip planning, fishing Cataline, etc.
Ok, my brain is now fried. I must go back to work so I can veg out a while. I also know the routine that if you have an idea that people like then you alos have to take it for action and make it happen. So if there is ANY interest in any of these ideas let me hear from you guys and I'll try to make one or some of them happen.

Honeygirl
10-15-2008, 09:11 AM
I'm in, I think we should just sit around drink, eat good food, and bullshit. I will see what I can do about getting some bugs for the Q.

Nomad
10-15-2008, 08:37 PM
all great ideas, sounds like Saturday is the preference, I'll check the calendar and suggest some dates

DOGHOUSE26
10-16-2008, 12:06 PM
I like the idea of Saturday and going a bit later. I like the food spread that we have all contributed to in the past. We should keep that going. Some of you guys get pretty fairly with the dishes. I'm still dreaming about those crispy fish tacos and lobsters which have been contributed in the past. Some other ideas:
1. Fishing seminars- Anyone know someone who knows how to fish? Maybe a squid making seminar by those in the club who know how to do it.
2. Maybe we could get a special guest speaker like Steve Blackman to talk about some history of the Blackman boats and the direction that he is going with the boats. Maybe some helpful insight on Blackman boat maintenance?
3. Maybe we could get a fish and game person to stop by to review rockfish regulations, or a customs agent to review checkin procedures. A lifeguard or Coastguard representative to review alcohol and boating regulations?
4. Maybe we could have some specific topics to discuss and assign a czar to lead the group in the discussion. Example: Mike could lead the group in discussion about secret halibut spots (like that's gonna happen)? Long range trip planning, fishing Cataline, etc.
Ok, my brain is now fried. I must go back to work so I can veg out a while. I also know the routine that if you have an idea that people like then you alos have to take it for action and make it happen. So if there is ANY interest in any of these ideas let me hear from you guys and I'll try to make one or some of them happen.

Scott,

If seminars, meetings, and Guest speakers are what you're after then you should join the Mission Bay Marlin Club. They have a meeting practically every month down at Marina Village; they have a different tourney each month from March through October with an optional overall side cash jackpot with 3 divisions - Men's , Women's , and Juniors. An Awards Banquet in January (Dinner Included), Membership meeting in February, and the Friday night generally before the weekend tournament we have a Guest Speaker and it includes a light dinner too, included with the cost of the membership. There's also an optional Fish of the Month contest for $20; if you catch the biggest fish during the calender month you win a free reel at the next meeting. This year they are giving out Avet MX 2 speeds, not too shabby. There are Custom Jacket Awards for Top Male, Top Female, Top Junior, and Top Boat for those who participate in the tourneys.

Thread Jack Off !

firebc
10-17-2008, 05:29 PM
I'm in. I agree that we tend to break down too early and head home. I can give a seminar on how to avoid catching legal lobster yet keep the numbers up.

Phil S.

iclypso
10-19-2008, 09:18 PM
I'm definitely in this time around. I can stay put with the best of them so don't worry about me circling the wagons early. I recommend either:
a) some Saturday so we don't compete with the Chargers or
b) Sunday with a TV so we can all watch the game.

hijole
10-22-2008, 09:47 PM
Sonds good again. The year went by too fast.

I like all of the ideas. I agree with Jeff re club membership. If I was retired like him I could join 2 clubs, 1 is enough for now.

Maybe each person can bring an idea to share; fishing, mecanical, boat, trailer, truck idea.
Mike has brought some good ones starting with the halibut rigs and jig he made for adjusting the valves.
I think Sunday was Ok but the last ones interfered with Chargers or other games. A Saturday may interfere with college games for some.

I like the dock idea. I used to know some real friendly gals on the doc until the BOCA's got jealous and tried to connect me with a doll.

DOGHOUSE26
10-24-2008, 10:29 AM
Sonds good again. The year went by too fast.

I like all of the ideas. I agree with Jeff re club membership. If I was retired like him I could join 2 clubs, 1 is enough for now.

Maybe each person can bring an idea to share; fishing, mecanical, boat, trailer, truck idea.
Mike has brought some good ones starting with the halibut rigs and jig he made for adjusting the valves.
I think Sunday was Ok but the last ones interfered with Chargers or other games. A Saturday may interfere with college games for some.

I like the dock idea. I used to know some real friendly gals on the doc until the BOCA's got jealous and tried to connect me with a doll.

Did the BOCA girl ever tell you "No, Stop That!" ? I didn't think so! You and Hector played Pirates of the Carribean with her for a long time, well after you used up all the patches in the patch kit!

If we have the picnic before November 4th I'm sure you can inform us on the the finer points of "No on 8" since you're one of the Big Wheels in the CTA! They're spending too much money on that junk!

Freespool
10-24-2008, 05:44 PM
I am in if it is on a Saturday. Just let me know what to bring other than fish. I had a freezer full until it took a dump. All the neighbors ate good for a wile.

How far from J dock are the guest slips? Are they in staggering distance?

DOGHOUSE26
10-24-2008, 08:50 PM
I don't know if the slip next to mine is vacant now or not, there used to be a 27 Sea Ray Express in there. You might be able to get it on a temp basis,J-39 I think

Freespool
10-25-2008, 03:29 PM
Do you have the name and number of who to call?

DOGHOUSE26
10-25-2008, 08:54 PM
Nope, the deutshbag is back in his slip and crap is all over the dock!

Nomad
10-30-2008, 08:50 PM
What do you guys think of the Saturday after Thanksgiving??

Knot Now
10-31-2008, 09:29 AM
I can make it

Freespool
10-31-2008, 12:56 PM
Works for me

DOGHOUSE26
10-31-2008, 08:02 PM
I think the Warden has other plans. Maybe Charger Home Game

Professor
11-01-2008, 09:00 PM
OK

Honeygirl
11-01-2008, 11:00 PM
Im good

Malu Lani
11-02-2008, 06:08 AM
sounds good

NoSlack
11-03-2008, 07:36 PM
Looks good for me

iclypso
11-03-2008, 09:00 PM
Where are we having it? By the J dock?

yellowfin1
11-04-2008, 11:52 AM
I'm in. Hot links with condiments, etc.

Professor
11-04-2008, 09:20 PM
Scott,

What kind of condiments do you serve with hot links other than beer? :D

Freespool
11-05-2008, 06:22 AM
Musterd and TUMS:D

yellowfin1
11-05-2008, 12:29 PM
Yale,

Hot sauce of course!

Nomad
11-07-2008, 12:50 PM
Looks like I'm up in the air for the date, but odds are I'll make it. Lets plan to have it in the usual spot by J Dock on the Saturday of Thanksgiving weekend (looks to work for most). Lets use the board to be sure all bases are covered. It should all come together OK.

fireescape
11-07-2008, 11:26 PM
love to make it guys, but in the after thanksgiving halibut tourney... maybe next year. have fun and drink a couple of cold ones for me....... zack