PDA

View Full Version : Sealant for deck hatch frames

Laura Mei
10-17-2008, 02:32 PM
I am planning to redo the sealant around all of the deck hatch frames on the Laura Mei as part of my on going war against water (even one drop :) ) getting into the bilge. My question is what kind of sealant should I use? Silicone? Thanks
Charley

DOGHOUSE26
10-17-2008, 07:50 PM
I think they use a self-leveling grade of polyurethane caulking, perhaps Sika Brand, or Vulkem. The only hatch that gets this treatment would be the bait tank/fueltank hatch. Which otherones were you thinking about?

Laura Mei
10-18-2008, 08:31 AM
On my Outerbanks there are lots of deck hatches. Six alltogether. It is a direct drive model with one big engine hatch, two small hatches on either side of that , on fish hold and one battery compartment and one accross the stern. Right now there is some kind of sealant that is pulling off in some places and I think water on the deck can reach the bilge by getting in underneath the deck hatch frames and bypassing the hatch frame drains.

DOGHOUSE26
10-18-2008, 10:22 AM
I would caulk only the screwed in place hatches. How much water are you putting on the deck at one time? Is your shaft bearing packing dripping?

Laura Mei
10-18-2008, 04:03 PM
Thanks for the advice Jeff. The shaft seal is good. I just noticed a few drops making their way under the screwed down hatch frames. Since I dumped a bunch of money into the repower I have been kind of obsessive about any water at all in the bilge.
Charley

Honeygirl
10-18-2008, 06:25 PM
Charley, I have the same problem, I think mine comes from where the hatch closes to the deck and not through the hinges. I hate water in the bilge and have been fighting it for awhile. I think when the bait tank is full it splash's over onto the deck then up and around the water channels and into the bilge. If you come up with something let me know. Joe

Sleigher1
10-20-2008, 02:25 PM
Hey Charley/Joe
Look at these bulb gaskets at http://www.mcmaster.com/
In the search column at the left of the page type "bulb gaskets"
There are all different types including some that are meant to slip over an edge. Like the edges of your hatches. I always meant to get some of this but, well, you know how it goes.

Peter