PDA

View Full Version : Redoing non skid deck surface

Import Manager
05-09-2004, 09:43 AM
#0, Redoing non skid deck surface
Posted by Old_Blue on Jun-26-03 at 09:44 PM

I've been kicking around the idea of redoing the non skid surface on my deck for a while now. Now the condition has gotten to the point where I'm not going to feel right about getting it wet without resealing it first. That and the kids have been bugging me to make good on my promise to spend the night on the boat with a little fishing the next morning!
Soooooo I've got a few questions. I would like to get a nice even resurfacing with a nonskid surface and I have a couple of vague ideas of how to go about it but would like hear from someone who knows for sure.

Does any body know how the original surface was applied?

I am planning on some minor puncture, delam and the rusty nail raising its ugly head repairs, but then what?

Acetone wash followed by...

Roll on gelcoat.
Sprinkle with sand, cure and sweep.
Roll on topcoat of gelcoat.
OR
Mix sand in with gelcoat and roll on.

Where do you get the sand and what type or grit? Which one will give the best result? Have you done it before? Do you have any tips, advice or wisdom to pass on?

I may try this out on saturday. I have my deck cleared and ready to go!

Thanks Brian on Old Blue.

PS It was great to put some faces to some of the names on the board at the BBQ. Wish I could of gotten there earlier but had a great time and the food was super. When we gonna do it again?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#1, RE: Redoing non skid deck surface
Posted by moo fish on Jun-27-03 at 07:27 PM
In response to message #0

I don't know about the gel coat but instead of sand, consider ground walnut shells. West marine has the shells in two different grades. Coarser and sharper than sand. Maybe San Diego Marine Exchange, also. I dusted the shells over wet epoxy paint, let it dry, brushed off the excess, and applied another coat of epoxy paint.....rt on the Moo Fish.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#2, RE: Redoing non skid deck surface
Posted by Old_Blue on Jun-28-03 at 07:45 PM
In response to message #1

Hey Richard, thanks for the info. I've heard of using walnut shells before but I'm used to the sand and I think I'm going to stick with it.
I had to work today so no progress on the deck. Seems like every year when the days get long enough to start getting the jump on some projects something always comes up.

Anyways, I wound up calling the shop and talked to Steve. He gave me the run down on what I should do. His recommendation is this.

Scuff the existing deck with 60 grit sandpaper.
Give the deck an acetone wash to remove any grease or oil.
Roll on the gelcoat and spread the sand on it. #20 or 30 silica sand.
Allow it to harden and sweep.
Roll on the finish coat of gelcoat.

I may get a chance to work on it tommorow, we'll see. I think I'll use the finer grade of sand.

Haven't had a chance to use any of the plastic polish yet. Do you know if its okay to use on eisenglass?

Brian

#3, RE: Redoing non skid deck surface
Posted by moo fish on Jun-29-03 at 06:49 AM
In response to message #2

I have used the polish on my plastic /lexan windshields with no problems. The eisenglass is vinyl so you may want to experiment before slathering the complete panel. Make sure the panel is clean, clean, clean, (no dust or grit). And, I am tracking down a new product from RainX--RainX Marine, which is good for lexan and plastic.
rt

yellowfin1
05-10-2004, 09:57 AM
Brian,

I spent alot of time on my deck. I posted the process I used in an earlier post. My deck was delaminating and uneven. I ripped the old glass out, replaced the wood which wasn't salvagable, and reglassed the wood which was salvagable after it dried good. After a few coats of epoxy and filler on the deck to get it as even as I could, I sanded and primed the epoxy coated deck. I then applied an LP paint with the silica deck grit made by U.S. Paint mixed in. After it dried, I swept off the deck and applied one more coat of LP (Linear Polyurethane). Looks good and has a good gritty surface. I will have to see how the process holds up after a season of fishing. I'd seriously consider using epoxy vice gelcoat on the deck for it';s moisture resistance ability. Some folks add the sand, silica, or walnur shells right in the epoxt then paint over it for good results. Feel free stop by and look at it any time you'd like. I'm in Clairemont. Don't you live near USD off of Genessee? Thought I saw your boat there?

Scott