PDA

View Full Version : Anybody fishing local after Turkey Day

Al Gagnon
11-27-2008, 09:54 AM
Will be having Thanksgiving dinner with family and friends. Would like to take some ofthem out on friday but not sure if it will be worth launching the boat early Friday, because of the snotty weather. Will bring the rain gear. Anything happening that you have heard. I was thinking the bay for halibut and bass. Then if things are going ok, will take a peek outside the bay and look around the kelp. It may be a bust or it may pay off. If the day goes good, we may stay out and play with the bugs in the bay. Have a happy Thanksgiving.
Al

NoSlack
11-27-2008, 10:26 AM
The weather is suppose to be good on Friday. Broken clouds in the AM and full sun by lunch. Wind is suppose to be 3 knots in the morning and pick up to 9 by mid afternoon.

I would like to fish halibut friday but the muddy water in the bay and along the beach may change that plan.

Mike

Freespool
11-27-2008, 11:08 AM
I plan on being out. Going to head down to the islands for a relaxing day of rock fishing.

Al Gagnon
11-27-2008, 01:28 PM
Anybody have information about the bait? Any anchovies or just big jumbo sardines? The Islands sound interesting but not sure if I want to burn the fuel or chance sloppy seas. The boat can handle it with ease, fuel price is way down, but the ride alongs are the ones I always feel sorry for. My policy is if anyone wants to go back to shore, due to seasickness, I assure them, I will have mercy and go back to the bay to fish.

Professor
11-28-2008, 08:51 PM
Anybody have information about the bait? Any anchovies or just big jumbo sardines? The Islands sound interesting but not sure if I want to burn the fuel or chance sloppy seas. The boat can handle it with ease, fuel price is way down, but the ride alongs are the ones I always feel sorry for. My policy is if anyone wants to go back to shore, due to seasickness, I assure them, I will have mercy and go back to the bay to fish.

My policy is a bit different. Not as user freindly I guess.

Al Gagnon
11-28-2008, 09:39 PM
Went out Friday and did good- Went to kelp beds for one jumbo sandbass. Traveled down to the border pipeline for short halibut. Started working up the line at the kelp, nothing but a upside down punga with a hole in its side, stuck in the kelp area. Was going to try to tow it somewher out of the way so boats would not hit it but the kelp was think and did not want to damage my boat in the process. Forgot to give coast Gaurd a heads up. Worked north. My son said lets stop here, Somewhere ouside IB northern section. No structure, no kelp just a long flat area about 12 fathom deep. Saw a yellow buoy with an antena on top of it about 200 yards away.. Got two legal halibut, undersize cuda, samll bonita and large sculpin. Thats it. I am very sore, not used to the heavy pitching and rolling in the wind. Felt more like Albacore weather. Needed a Vicodin to help the sore bones and muscles. Worked off the turkey dinner, for sure. Boat run great. Pushed both engines wide open for a short bit and ran cool doing 3800 WOT. Starboard engine went 4000 rpm and need to ask John if I should ck for futher info.