PDA

View Full Version : VHF radio noise

Honeygirl
12-15-2008, 09:08 PM
I am getting bad noise from my bait pumps through my radios. I tried to stop it by rerouting the wires with no luck. any ideas. Joe

DOGHOUSE26
12-16-2008, 10:19 AM
Live by the iron baby!

You would think they make an in line filter to suppress the noise.

Believe it or not I get static on certain channels from my GPS Screen.

Freespool
12-16-2008, 10:44 AM
Check your grounds. A bad or insufficient ground on the bait pumps or VHF could be the culprit.

NoSlack
12-16-2008, 04:04 PM
As a test, put your bait pump on a stand alone battery. If the noise goes away, it's most likely the brushes in the bait pump are not making good contact with the commutator and that arcing is fed back onto your DC buss as noise.

If the pump is new it could take a few trips for the brushes to wear in, and if it's an old pump, break out another thousand (B.O.A.T.)

They do make noise filters that work pretty good. I think I got mine at Radio Shack or the local electronics store. They make them for the equipment that is causing the problem as well as the stuff that's being affected. I put them on the pumps and radios to cover all my potential problems.

Mike

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41BqN4bW8uL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

hijole
12-16-2008, 08:54 PM
Do you put it on the radio or on the pump?

NoSlack
12-16-2008, 09:43 PM
10 or 15 years ago when I installed them, I put a filter similar to the picture above on the affected device (radio) and one on the pump that was made for the offending piece of equipment.

Mike

Honeygirl
12-16-2008, 10:08 PM
Thanks for the responses, Mike I bought on today similar to that one I am going to do some test in the morning and install the filter top see if it helps. Should I ground the body of the pumps?

Honeygirl
12-16-2008, 10:14 PM
Mike check this out. right up your alley
http://www.thehulltruth.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=225876&posts=9

NoSlack
12-17-2008, 04:59 PM
Lots of good ideas on that other board. All my new displays came with the ferrite rings and I think it's a good cheap fix for a lot of noise problems. The capacitors the one guy refers to are what's in the store bought filters. It's cheap to make your own if you know what your looking for but me $10 is a good deal to take the guess work out and have it in a clean package.

You pump is the problem and you might mask the problem with some filters. Just because the pump is new doesn't mean it's not defective.

Grounding the case probably won't do anything for your problem.
Mike

Honeygirl
12-17-2008, 09:21 PM
Thanks mike. Today I installed the ferrite and the noise filter on one radio. The noise is now gone. I did a test first with just the ferrite and the noise was not reduced by much then I added the noise filter (payed 14 bucks) and the noise is gone. I am going to do the other radio and other components in the morning. Did you do your radar,gps and FF? Thanks again Joe

NoSlack
12-18-2008, 12:03 PM
Just the radios and bait pump. I didn't bother fixing things that weren't broke.

Mike