PDA

View Full Version : TAMD40A - Engines or Parts F/S

saltwaters
01-22-2009, 06:20 PM
I finished repowering my 28 Topaz (50-50) and now want to get the old engines out of my garage.

F/S

I have two TAMD40A engines only for sale. Rated at 148 Hp for Inboard, 155 for Sterndrive.

Engine no 1. In running condition. Previous owner (Troy) said it had 3500 hours. I can't verify this as the hour meter said 251. I have performed the following to this engine in the last 3 years. $3500 OBO

1. Rebuilt the injection pump 2 years ago.
2. Rebuilt all 6 injectors 2 years ago.
3. Installed new glow plugs to replace those that did not work 3 years ago. I think 4 of them were replaced.
4. Installed new seawater pump 2 years ago. Installed new impeller 2 months ago.
5. Had local mechanic clean the freshwater side of the cooling system using the Volvo solution and install new coolant (2 months ago).
6. Installed new exhaust elbow 2 years ago.
7. Cleaned the seawater side of the cooling system 1 year ago.
8. Installed new primary fuel filter and lift pump 3 years ago.
9. Previous owner said he had the turbo rebuilt. No paperwork to prove this but the engine made no black smoke. The turbo spins freely.
10. Installed new radiator cap 2 years ago.1
11. I had a local certified Volvo mechanic remove the head to remove a part of a glow plug that broke off in a pre-combustion chamber 2 years ago. There are no coolant leaks.

This engine ran 175 degrees according to the Volvo gauges and reached 3600 RPMs at WOT. I ran it at 3000 RPMS.

Engine no 2. In running condition but recently had a problem where there was a loud bang and it shut down. A lot of oil was in the bilge. I added oil and restarted the engine. It runs and has oil pressure but there it idles unsteadily and puts out white smoke through the exhaust and breather. It might have dropped a pre-cup. I do not know exactly what is wrong with the engine. It might be minor or might be big. Feel free to bring a mechanic with you for inspection. It did not overheat. There are no coolant leaks.

Previous owner said it had 3500 hours. I can't verify this as the hour meter said 251. I have performed the following to this engine in the last 3 years. $1500.00 OBO

1. Previous owner rebuilt the injection pump. Not sure when but it has been rebuilt.
2. Rebuilt all 6 injectors 2 years ago.
3. Installed new glow plugs to replace those that did not work 3 years ago. 4 were replaced. One is now inoperable. I broke it while removing it.
4. Installed new seawater pump 2 years ago. Installed new impeller 2 months ago.
5. Had local mechanic clean the freshwater side of the cooling system using the Volvo solution and install new coolant (2 months ago).
6. Installed new exhaust elbow in the last years.
7. Cleaned the seawater side of the cooling system 1 year ago.
8. Installed new primary fuel filter and lift pump 3 years ago.
9. Previous owner said he had the turbo rebuilt. No paperwork to prove this but the engine made no black smoke. The turbo spins freely.
10. Installed new radiator cap 2 years ago.1

This engine ran 180 degrees according to the Volvo gauges and reached 3600 RPMs at WOT. I ran it at 3000 RPMS.

There are many new parts on these engines that could be of use to someone who has them. I am willing to sell either one or both of them. I will be removing them within the next month. I can run them for you.

These engines are bobtail. Each engine comes with a wiring harnesses and gauge panel. I had to cut three of the four harnesses to remove them from the boat but I cut them in a spot where they will not be in the bilge and can be spliced back together.

Located in Irvine, stored since November 2008 in the garage. No reasonable offer refused. I want to move these engines.

Bill Waters
949-857-8551

DOGHOUSE26
01-22-2009, 06:39 PM
Bill I forgot what you repowered with. And I think the HP ratings are higher for the inboard version, the outdrives consumes about 8% measured at the propshaft.

saltwaters
01-22-2009, 08:56 PM
Bill I forgot what you repowered with. And I think the HP ratings are higher for the inboard version, the outdrives consumes about 8% measured at the propshaft.

I have a one page product bulletin for the TAMD40A that lists propeller output at 148 with MS3B gears although I have been told by other people the 'A' and 'B' engines both put out 165 hp.

I'm not sure at this point. I do know the pre-cups on this engine are smaller than on the 'B' so I think it made less HP due to less fuel being sent to the engine.

I just installed TAMD41B engines in the boat. I still have a few small issues that I'm dealing with but it is much faster now.

Thank you for the info.

Bill

DOGHOUSE26
01-22-2009, 09:52 PM
Much Faster now? You'll need a Pilot's License to drive from the tower! I've been cruising 24.5 Knots @3400 up in the Lively One Tower in the lee of Catalina

Wa Mei
01-22-2009, 10:55 PM
Hey Bill, you might want to PM a BD member "Piperca". He has a 28' Skippy with blown motors. He has been in the market for a couple diesel motors
to replace his gasser.

saltwaters
01-24-2009, 09:06 PM
Much Faster now? You'll need a Pilot's License to drive from the tower! I've been cruising 24.5 Knots @3400 up in the Lively One Tower in the lee of Catalina

Mine wasn't as fast as the Lively One with the 40A engines but it might be close now. I saw 29 kts during a quick WOT test.

I don't have Volvo alternators. I'm still trying to get the Prestolite's dialed in. I had to make a -9% adjustment on the Volvo tachs to compensate. I'll phototach them tomorrow to see if they are more accurate.

I can't imagine being in the tower at 24 kts if the seas are up but in flat water it might be fun. I'll be driving down for the MB Awards ceremony next weekend. Maybe I'll see you there.

saltwaters
01-24-2009, 09:08 PM
Hey Bill, you might want to PM a BD member "Piperca". He has a 28' Skippy with blown motors. He has been in the market for a couple diesel motors
to replace his gasser.

Wamei,

I'll try to locate him. Thanks for the heads up.

Bill

iclypso
01-26-2009, 11:14 PM
Bill, are you able to use the same gauges with the new engines or will you be selling those, as well?

saltwaters
01-28-2009, 08:13 PM
Bill, are you able to use the same gauges with the new engines or will you be selling those, as well?

I bought new panels and wiring harnesses. Each engine comes with the panel and wiring harness, that is if I sell the complete engine. I haven't had much success in finding a buyer so far. I'm going to try E-bay next week and see if I can get rid of them without taking them apart. If that fails I'll start parting them out. I'll sell a panel if you need one at that time.

I am going to try to sell each major system complete. The fuel system will include the lift pump, engine mounted filter bracket, injection pump, injectors, pipes and all other small parts. The raw water system will include all pipes and raw water pump. The exhaust will include the manifold, turbo, air cleaner and elbow. I'll sell the coolers separate.

What do you guys think of that idea?

Thanks

bill

NoSlack
01-28-2009, 08:47 PM
I hope someone comes along that needs the whole thing. If it comes down to parting them out, put me down for a couple hundred pounds of stuff.

My short list would include a sea water pump and heat exchanger. I know how hard those glow plugs are to get, so a couple of those would be nice too.

Mike

saltwaters
01-29-2009, 07:29 PM
I happen to have a spare box of 4 new glow plugs. Made by Autolite. They sell for 7.75 - 16.xx plus tax and shipping on the internet. How does $25.00 sound?

Irma and are going to the MB Marlin Club banquet on Sat. I can bring em with me. I also have a raw water pump I bought from Troy Grant via E-bay. He rebuilt it and used it as his on-board spare. I never installed it. It's in a box in the garage. I can bring it too. Make me an offer.

saltwaters
01-29-2009, 08:05 PM
I hope someone comes along that needs the whole thing. If it comes down to parting them out, put me down for a couple hundred pounds of stuff.

My short list would include a sea water pump and heat exchanger. I know how hard those glow plugs are to get, so a couple of those would be nice too.

Mike

Mike,

This is your lucky day. I forgot that I had a spare heat exchanger in my garage. I was trying to figure out why the stbd engine ran hotter than the port engine. John Benson told me Shirley Blackman had a H/E in the back. He checked it out and I bought it from her. ($900.00 for the entire unit) I installed it and it didn't fix my problem.

I have since found out the problem was caused by the strut and strut bearing. My new stbd engine is displaying the same problem. Running warmer than the port engine. The stbd strut had been replace with a custom SS unit and it wasn't in perfect alignment. I thought the boat yard had fixed this but that shaft is harder to turn than the port so it has to be the extra load that is making this engine and my old one to run warmer than the other one. This is also the same engine that blew up.

I have the H/E. I rodded out the seawater side and ran the boat for a short while. There is just a small amount of salt on it. It will clean up easily. I also cleaned out the coolant side.

The only problem I am aware of is a slightly stripped hole for the front cover. Troy had a longer bolt in it. I think it can be tapped to the next larger size. Might work better to put a standard bolt in instead of metric. The boot isn't in too bad a condition and it has the nice Volvo clamps. The front cover is not the reinforced model. It looks to be the original part. I also have a NOS temp sensor I'll throw into the deal.

I can throw this in the trunk as well.

Thanks

Bill

http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/517/medium/DSCN0034.JPG
http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/517/medium/DSCN0033.JPG
http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/517/medium/DSCN00321.JPG
http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/517/medium/DSCN0031.JPG

NoSlack
01-30-2009, 05:27 PM
Bill

I've had some parts on order for over a month now to build up a second pump using my spare internal parts. I'll call them first thing Monday and cancel the order if they aren't any closer to completing my order. I'm about $200 short in part to build up a second pump so that what a spare pump would be worth to me. If you can get more for it than that, that OK by me. I'll just wait out my order.

I will take your box of glow plugs and I'll need to give that cooler some thought. Mine's in good shap but I know how screwed I'd be if it went bad.

Do you make it down every month for the Marlin Club meeting? This Saturday is bad for me but next time you're down I set some time aside for you.

saltwaters
01-30-2009, 05:46 PM
Mike,

I don't get down that way too often. I'd really like to attend more meetings but Friday is the problem. I'm already making a 100 mile commute per day and it's hard to get to SD for a meeting. I plan on taking some Fridays off this year and taking the boat to MB before heading offshore. That would be the best way I can attend a meeting.

I'll take $200.00 for the pump and glow plugs. I can drop them off with someone who will be attending the banquet. You can send me a check for payment.

Bill Waters
68 Tangerine
Irvine, Ca 92618

We can talk later about the H/E.

I'll put the two parts in my wife's car. Make arrangements for someone to contact me at the banquet if you want the stuff otherwise I can ship them to you. I know Jerry Lively, John McGuire, Bob Hargraves, Russ Hughes ect.

Bill

NoSlack
01-30-2009, 07:01 PM
I'll call around and see who I know that's going to be at the club tomorrow.

I might be up you way to look over the engine in a week or two if I miss you this week. I called David (Labrisa Del Mar)and talked to him about putting your working engine in his boat.

Mike

LABRISA DEL MAR
01-30-2009, 08:13 PM
Bill,
I am interest in your Engine that is in running condition,Mike and I would like to take a look in the next couple weeks.I have the flu now,dont wish it on any one.My email is c21fanning @aol.com and cell is 619-318-4322 any time.Let us Know what week end would work For you.
David

saltwaters
01-31-2009, 02:39 PM
Bill,
I am interest in your Engine that is in running condition,Mike and I would like to take a look in the next couple weeks.I have the flu now,dont wish it on any one.My email is c21fanning @aol.com and cell is 619-318-4322 any time.Let us Know what week end would work For you.
David

David,

I'll send you some photos of the engine and I'll give you a call. I should be free next Saturday or Sunday if that works for you. I have a Dana Angling Club banquet to go to but it' doesn't stat until 5:00 PMish.

Thank you,

Bill

LABRISA DEL MAR
01-31-2009, 06:52 PM
Bill,
Great,I will look for the pictures.The time will between Mike and you, I can go just about anytime.I will call mike.

Thank you for you time.
David