PDA

View Full Version : 1/24 no halibut

NoSlack
01-24-2009, 01:33 PM
The plan was to work the bounce ball gear from Mission beach up to Torrey looking for the halibut. Truck stop wasn't open at 7:30 when I went by so that drastically reduced my range for the day. I was sitting on a 1/4 tank so I stayed in the Mission beach and PB area.

Water was real clean with a ton of bait on the surface. Nothing in the lower third of the water collum and only 1 bite for my 3 hours of effort.

Fueled up on the way home ($1.92) so I'll have a longer leash next week.

Mike

Freespool
01-24-2009, 08:05 PM
We had about the same luck. Had a few very nice strikes in the P.B. area in the early A.M. but nothing stuck. Worked our way up to Torrey Pines and it was a ghost town. Then stopped in La Jolla and played catch and release for a few hours.

Last night was a different story we were back on the trailer by 11:30 with 15 legal bugs.

DOGHOUSE26
01-24-2009, 09:07 PM
ll the SD Bay Bass wasn't a barn burner for us either. Started out great on the degausser cable with a fish every cast first thing, however they were mostly small bass and sculpin, my son Chris hung a 2# sandy which went into the bait tank. I brought 1 legal to the boat but I said this fish will never get us into the money so I let him go. OOPS!

Hung another 2 pounder across from the launch ramp after fishing Zuniga poit for nothing although i did see 1 nice 2-3# come aboard another skiff 3 lights inside the tip. It was dead for us from 9:15 to 1230PM; I could tell Chris was ready to call it a day but I made him wait it out. After trying different shads in my box, we both got bit on a smelt green 4"AA ; 2 more 2 pounders and that was it. I think 16# won it, we were just under 8# for 4 fish; and I think 10# was the money break. Everything was fantastic except fighting the return knuckleheads at the launch ramp; an idiot with a loadspeaker and no clue directing boat traffic with little water in the basin and the dock full with other idiots watching the ramp follies, typical stuff! We probably made the top 50 of 150; there were several boats with nothing!

NoSlack
01-25-2009, 07:28 AM
When I saw the tide was -.8' right about weigh in time, I knew the end of the day was going to draw a crowd. Some people just can't get enough of watching other people struggle.

That ramp has to be the toughest place in the state to retrieve on a busy day with a minus tide.

Mike