PDA

View Full Version : New Guy from Pt.Loma

NEKTON
02-24-2009, 09:14 AM
Hi, my name is Todd Mora. Born and raised in Pt.Loma, San Diego. I am 33 and been fishing the bay, kelp, islands and offshore San Diego for 20+ years.

My family owned a yellow hulled 20' Fish Machine for several years when I was younger. The boat was named the Longfin, I believe it was owned by Steve Blackman at one time. The boat was slipped at the La Playa Yacht Club in Pt.Loma by Southwestern Yacht Club. I caught my first Yellowtail at Pukey Point on her when I was 14 and learned the fine art of teak refinishing, Good Times.

I now fish out of a 19' Boston Whaler named the Lizardfish, my family has owned this boat for 5 years, several threshers, numerous tuna species, YT, Dorado, rockfish, lingcod, halibut and a ton of lobster have been landed by the Lizardfish, named after the most majestic sea creature and prized gamefish of the 7 seas!

My close family friends, the Gafa's, own a 32' Blackman named the Bite Me. The Bite Me is slipped in the Kona Kai marina on Shelter Island. We fish the big girl many times each summer for the albies and assorted offshore species. This May, I'm putting a thresher on it for them. The Bite Me has a refrigerated fish hold that will freeze the tunas solid. We have filled that thing up on more than one occasion. Mike Gafa Sr. is the owner.

I am currently in the process of entering law school in San Diego, starting in the Fall of this year. My sole intention of practicing law is a 26' Outerbanks. I will name her NEKTON and she will be the envy of all men. Just kidding, but we all have to have dreams, right. Google Nekton, if you don't know what it means. You'll like it!

Soo that is me, I started fishing on a Blackman, I fish on a Blackman, and I will own my own Blackman soon, maybe 5 years!

I recognize a few of you from another site, Bloodydecks, were I go by sdfishkiller. I have been a die hard Blackman fan since a young man and look forward to owning my Outerbanks someday.

Todd Mora

yellowfin1
02-24-2009, 09:29 AM
Kool!

I'll save the rest of you the trouble of googling it.

There are three types of nekton. The largest group of nekton are chordates and have bones or cartilage. This group includes bony fish, whales, sharks, turtles, snakes, eels, porpoises, dolphins and seals. Molluscan nekton are animals like octopus and squid. Arthropod nekton are animals like shrimp. Most arthropods are benthos or bottom dwelling organisms.
Other Nekton include:
The Squid and Octopus
Bony Fish
Sharks and Rays
Dolphins, Porpoises and Whales

Basically, anything that swims in the ocean.
I'll bet that most of you Blackman owners already knew this as we is a smart grupe.

I too used to dream of owning a Blackman. Now I is one.
Good luck with the dream.

Scott

Honeygirl
02-24-2009, 11:04 AM
Nice to meet you Todd. If you are ever up my way and wish to fish the island (CAT)let me know. I run a 26 outerbanks that has been highly customized to fish the islands in comfort. Joe

DOGHOUSE26
02-24-2009, 12:02 PM
Welcome to the Board, we might have battled on the other site in the past. By the time you're ready there will probably be a few good buys out there! But don't sell yourself as short with the Whaler; you still can't find a better inshore boat that is well built and relatively cheap to operate! Good luck with Law School, my daughter has to make a decision soon as to where she will go next year and USD is on the list. She took their tour and was surprised to find up to 60% of first year law students there had worked a few years after getting their undergraduate degree before starting law school. You'll fit right in!

Wa Mei
02-24-2009, 04:14 PM
I am just a guest here (Skippy owner), but welcome to the site anyway!
Good group of guys here on this site. Good luck with school. We can use
another lawyer.:D

fireescape
02-25-2009, 04:07 PM
welcome todd...... This is a good group of guys and gals in this club. you will find this board to be more warm as fuzzy than the other! its all about helping and having fun fishing, and alittle light bashing....lol if you have any questions feel free to ask.........zack

Al Gagnon
02-25-2009, 05:40 PM
I was also raised in Pt. Loma. Up the street from KFC. Things have changed since then but most of the people are the same. Two years ago i retired and I purchased a 30 ft. Outerbanks, orginally 26 ft. I have not been disappointed at all. I have been some what conservative with distance. Only out to the southish to the 421 and Westish to the 181. Looking at going further south on a multi day trip this next tuna season. Keep in touch and I am sure you can hitch a ride with some of the people on this site.

NEKTON
02-26-2009, 10:30 AM
Thanks for the warm reception. Looking forward to some good fishing this year.

Todd Mora

Freespool
02-26-2009, 05:35 PM
Welcome Todd. I have seen you quite a bit on the other site. I think you will find this site to be a lot more user friendly. If you have any questions about a Blackman this is definitely the site to ask.

Pat

iclypso
03-01-2009, 11:42 PM
Welcome, Todd. I have the same handle on the other board. I'm on a 23' Billfisher named Bimini Twist. I can't argue with the fact that the lizardfish is, indeed, the most magnificent creature in all the world.

Heron
03-18-2009, 08:27 PM
Welcome Todd,
This is a great site and people. I purchase my used Outerbanks last June and have really appreciated the knowledge and assistance of Blackman owners. Bill