PDA

View Full Version : 3/11/09 LJ

yellowfin1
03-12-2009, 09:18 AM
Fished at La Jolla on Wednesday. Arrived near LJ NW Kelp around 7:15. I was surprised that there were no boats whatsoever but, there were 8 kayaks fishing the area. Even though there was a bright moon there were still what looked like squid/squid eggs, and what looked like yellowtail on the fishfinder. No squid boats in the cove. Tried jigging for an hour and a half or so and also drifted a fresh squid behind the boat. No joy on anything. Moved off to some rocks and had a slow pick on vermillion, greenspots and green stripes, barber poles, and a couple widow rockfish (according to a DFG ID site). Cool variety. No bocaccios to my surprise. Ended the days with 12 assorted smallish rockfish. Largest was a 2.5lb vermillion. I can't seem to be able to post the picture. Will keep trying.
Scott.

NoSlack
03-12-2009, 04:59 PM
I got out there on Thursday for about the same results. I'm sure the weather was better on Wednesday than today. When I left Mission Bay around 4:30 it was only blowing 8 knots. By day break Torrey Pines was reporting 18 to 21 and it was sloppy.

Metered what looked like squid just outside the buoy line but had a real hard time setting the anchor in the right spot. Toughed it out there until 8am then I beat my way up to the weather buoy area to pick up some cod. Wind let up a bit by 8:30 and that let me put a limit of cod on ice by 9:30.

Definitely not the nicest day on the water but it beat going to work.

Mike

Freespool
03-12-2009, 05:40 PM
I was out on Wednesday as well. We went out of Oceanside and headed up north. It was a pretty slow pick in the morning until we looked a little deeper then usual. The area I usually fish has always had good results in 180'-195' of water. On this day they were hiding in 230'-240'. Once we found them the meter turned solid red from the bottom up about 20'. After that it was wide open. As soon as you hit the bottom you were winding it back up. Nothing to brag about on the size all fish were under two pounds.

NoSlack
03-12-2009, 06:47 PM
Pat
You catching Reds up your way?

Mike

Freespool
03-12-2009, 07:51 PM
Yep, we got quite a few. They were all small though.