PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone here running torsion axels?

Freespool
03-13-2009, 09:34 AM
I am going to be ordering a new trailer in the near future and all the trailer manufactures are recommending I go with torsion axels. I was told the torsions don’t travel as much as the leaf spring set up and it makes sense to me because they don’t have the equalizer like spring axels do. The only time I can imagine this being an issue is when backing down a steep ramp and having all the weight on two tires. So, I was wondering has anyone had any problems/issues with the torsion axels?

Also I was planning on going with a three axel are there any drawbacks other than turning and buying six tires?

I was also planning on going with electric over hydraulic brakes. Has anyone herd anything negative about this setup?

Thanks
Pat

NoSlack
03-13-2009, 11:40 AM
Pat give me a call and I'll fill you in on everything I've learned over the past 4 years. I have 2 brand new #5200 axles with disc brakes in the garage if you want to look the setup over.

Sent ya a PM with my numbers.

Mike

DOGHOUSE26
03-13-2009, 11:45 AM
I don't think electric brakes will work after being in salt water. Just a guess

Freespool
03-13-2009, 12:22 PM
The brakes are the same but instead of having the surge tong it has an electric master cylinder that mounts up by the winch.

As for the electric brakes close to two years ago I had to rebuild my whole brake system on my trailer. At the time I was planning on getting a new trailer in a couple of months so I cheeped out and put electric brakes on it. I didn’t plan on using the existing trailer for this long. I must say they held up a lot better then I expected and work surprisingly well. I do however unplug the lights when I dunk the boat. I did find out the hard way that if the cord end touches the water it will turn green and furry in minutes because of the break away battery.

Freespool
03-13-2009, 01:02 PM
Thanks for all the info Mike it is much appreciated.

DOGHOUSE26
03-13-2009, 01:30 PM
The brakes are the same but instead of having the surge tong it has an electric master cylinder that mounts up by the winch.

As for the electric brakes close to two years ago I had to rebuild my whole brake system on my trailer. At the time I was planning on getting a new trailer in a couple of months so I cheeped out and put electric brakes on it. I didn’t plan on using the existing trailer for this long. I must say they held up a lot better then I expected and work surprisingly well. I do however unplug the lights when I dunk the boat. I did find out the hard way that if the cord end touches the water it will turn green and furry in minutes because of the break away battery.

Thanks, I always wondered how they worked!