PDA

View Full Version : New guy

Zarco
03-29-2009, 07:59 AM
Well I finally got one! My name is Jason,I live in point loma. Got an awesome deal on a 1983 26' billfisher. 952 og hrs on the clock .super clean. Had dual 4cyl volvo diesels. I got it with the holes plugged ready to repower. Have a low hour 41a to drop in(800hrs). 290 dp drive, just need to have hole cut and mounts glassed in.trying to get it together before summertime. We'll see?

Zarco
03-29-2009, 08:12 AM
Previous name on this boat was"the good life" anyone know this boat?

yellowfin1
03-29-2009, 10:11 AM
Hmmm,

I've never heard of that one. Was it kept in S.D.? Glad to hear that you got a good deal on her. Are you gonna do the install yourself? Hope to see you on the water this summer. I was out yesretrday and fished locally. I saw two big Blackman's ~38' flavor and two other Billfishers.

Scott

Freespool
03-29-2009, 12:32 PM
Welcome to the site. I saw the pictures on BD and that boat looks really clean. Hope to see it on the water soon.

Zarco
03-29-2009, 02:03 PM
Hmmm,

I've never heard of that one. Was it kept in S.D.? Glad to hear that you got a good deal on her. Are you gonna do the install yourself? Hope to see you on the water this summer. I was out yesretrday and fished locally. I saw two big Blackman's ~38' flavor and two other Billfishers.

Scott

Yes it is from San diego, was kept on lift or trailer. Never bottom painted. Gonna have blackman cut the hole and fab mounts, may just have them drop the motor in. I'll rig it myself and install drive.

Zarco
03-29-2009, 02:04 PM
Welcome to the site. I saw the pictures on BD and that boat looks really clean. Hope to see it on the water soon.

Thanx! Hope to have it done soon.( cash is tight after the purchase).

Malu Lani
03-29-2009, 08:33 PM
Congratulations ! are you going to trailer or slip it.

Zarco
03-29-2009, 09:20 PM
Congratulations ! are you going to trailer or slip it.

Plan on keeping it trailered for now.

DOGHOUSE26
03-30-2009, 07:09 AM
Congratulations on your new ride, you'll probably be miles ahead letting Blackman install the complete motor and outdrive and then you can rig everything else the exact way you want it. Less finger pointing that way I believe!

NEKTON
05-05-2009, 07:54 PM
Jason, It's Todd by SWYC. Glad you're here. Beautiful Billfisher you have.

CYA!

Zarco
05-06-2009, 07:28 PM
Jason, It's Todd by SWYC. Glad you're here. Beautiful Billfisher you have.

CYA!

Thanx! Just got it back today from getting hole cut and mounts glassed in.
Just got to get trim rams rebuilt and have outdrive shimmed for new lower unit. Then I can drop it all in. Looks like I should make it before the tuna are here.

Zarco
06-02-2009, 09:33 PM
Seatrial scheduled for Saturday.

DOGHOUSE26
06-02-2009, 10:17 PM
Congratulations and good luck, just remember to back off the trim tabs a little bit when returning down swell at speed; if you don't you will the second time I guarantee it!

Al Gagnon
06-03-2009, 10:09 PM
Jason, good luck. I would be out there but my daughter is celebrating 1 yr of marriage. See you out in the water.
Al

Zarco
06-07-2009, 06:44 AM
Didn't make it yesterday. Not pulling water to the pump.afterpulling water pump 3 times we found the problem to be in the lower. Pulled it to reseal. Hoping to try again today.

Zarco
06-20-2009, 08:43 PM
Just got back from her maiden voyage. Logged 150ish miles and other than the autopilot being junk(old benmar) the trip went flawless. Even got quad hookup on the trollers. Perfect way to break it in if you ask me...LOL! Even in the snotty seas she rode like a cadillac.I'm in love!

Al Gagnon
06-20-2009, 11:37 PM
I went by your house and did not see the boat or truck, so figured you were out on trials or moved the boat elsewhere. Good to hear everything went well. who went and what did you bring home?

Zarco
06-21-2009, 07:37 AM
Bottomline, Leedog (from bd) ,my son and myself. Woke to crashing bluefin but they sunk out.we hooked an albie and I came unbuttoned at the boat . We did manage a quad hookup on bonies. Great trip eitherway. I hear all the people bitchin about the weather yesterday....don't know why?

NoSlack
06-21-2009, 08:28 AM
If the AP is acting a little lazy, it's most likely dirty contacts and should be easily corrected if you clean the contacts in the control unit.

Pop the front cover open by pushing in one of the spring pins on either side of the control unit(use a small nail to push the pin). Once you get the cover open take some contact cleaner and give the post and 3 contact fingers a good cleaning.

If all else fails, pull it out and send it back to Benmar (LA area) for a tune up.

Mike

http://members.cox.net/noslack/AutoPilot.JPG

Zarco
06-21-2009, 10:12 AM
When I first tried it it would click at the control box.(in the house) Pulled the motor out to find gears look worn. Reinstalled and it worked. When out in the water it would veer hard left. Think I can fix it cheap? (-$200) I will be looking for an ap24. But could spend that money elsewhere for now.

NoSlack
06-21-2009, 10:48 AM
Start by cleaning those 3 little contacts. The signal from the dial passes through those contact to the control board were it's compared to the internal compass signal and drives the motor left or right until they match up.

If you aren't getting a good desired course signal to the board the motor keeps driving looking for a match. When it reaches it's port or starboard limits is when you hear the clicking noise. It's built to slip before it overdrive something and breaks.

Mike

Freespool
06-21-2009, 11:05 AM
Wow, that was quick. Congratulations on the successful shake down trip. When I got my boat the autopilot was doing the same thing and I had the broker get it tuned up. It is still a little finicky but it does ok. But I would not use it over 10 knots.

Al Gagnon
06-21-2009, 11:43 AM
Well, it must be autopilot week. Mine is inconsistant on working. If the weather is goo and I put in auto it tracks great. If the weather is bumpy and I put it in auto it swings hard right. No sure of the brand. I do not go that far that I need outo unless I go for Albies or coming home from the Islands. I guess I need to do some home work.

Freespool
06-21-2009, 12:40 PM
Mine seems to work great for about 8 to 10 hours after that it's a crap shoot. No patern to it it just will make a hard turn eather direction without warning.

Al Gagnon
06-21-2009, 07:22 PM
Well that would scare the hell out of me and the rest of the crew, especialy going down swell. I do not leave the helm while the boat is in gear.

DOGHOUSE26
06-21-2009, 09:56 PM
Just got back from her maiden voyage. Logged 150ish miles and other than the autopilot being junk(old benmar) the trip went flawless. Even got quad hookup on the trollers. Perfect way to break it in if you ask me...LOL! Even in the snotty seas she rode like a cadillac.I'm in love!

Jason,

I saw you buddy's post on BD; that is one huge bonehead in the corner, I had to do a doubletake on that one!

What year is your boat? In the pic I noticed a separation in height from the deck @ bait tank to the deck @ side storage and motor hatches in the stern. Did you need a raised hatch for engine clearance?

Zarco
06-22-2009, 07:48 AM
It originally had twins. I asked Steve(blackman) about that and he said that was how it was done back then. Kinda wished it were flush but, it does keep the water off the deck.my boat is an 83'.

DOGHOUSE26
06-22-2009, 08:25 AM
That explains it! I still can't get over the size of the bonito, I'd like to bait one of those with 10-15# spinning gear and land it!

Zarco
06-25-2009, 12:05 PM
Blackman had an old benmar control box laying around so I got the AP working. Still probably going to send in the old box for repair since I know that is what was the problem.