PDA

View Full Version : Marina Del Rey Halibut Derby this weekend.

Laura Mei
03-31-2009, 05:01 PM
Taking the boat "around the horn" from Long Beach to fish the Halibut Derby this weekend in Santa Monica Bay. Got a slip for the weekend in MDR marina. Anybody else going to fish the derby? Anybody care to share some hot dope as to where the flatties might be hiding? I need a new truck ---- just need to catch one > 50 pounds or so ...should be no problem :).
Good luck everybody.
Charley

Mac Attack
03-31-2009, 08:13 PM
I'll be fishing on the Patron. Are you at Burton Chase Park? I am slipped directly behind the bait and fuel dock. I'll look for you.

Mike

Laura Mei
04-01-2009, 10:22 AM
Sounds good Mike. I got a slip at the Boatyard Marina (H2605) for the weekend - guess it is over by the launch ramp somewhere.
Charley

Mac Attack
04-06-2009, 11:15 AM
Hey Charlie:

I saw you at Topanga on Sunday. A few shorts for me. Tough fishing. How did you do?

Mike

Patron

Laura Mei
04-06-2009, 12:59 PM
We didn't have much luck either. One short, one sand bass, and an octopus for two days drifting! Do you know how big the wining fish was? ...Oh well the weather was great and the ride back to Long Beach was great - 20 knots all the way!
Charley

Mac Attack
04-06-2009, 06:48 PM
41 lbs. the winner caught on Sat. 2nd and 3rd were low 20's. The only fish weighed on Sun was a 28" fish. When I was in high school, I pinheaded on the old sportboat the " Indiana" from Santa Monica sportfishing along with my best friend and high school buddy Jim "Rollo" Heyn. I can remember catching 20-25 halibut on the half-day boat, all quality fish. Who knows what happened ( over-fishing-pollution) but they decline is amazing.

Mike