PDA

View Full Version : Direct Drive and I/O

brian_g
04-08-2009, 02:11 PM
What are the advantages of Direct Drive or I/O?

I have noticed that direct drive boats seem to have better fuel economy when compared to I/O, but I have been told that the I/O makes close quarter maneuvering easier.

Also, would the savings on not having the outboard (on a direct drive) be substantial regarding upkeep?

Been looking for a Blackman for a VERY long time, and my Dad and I are trying to figure out if our aversion to direct drive is silly as we are looking for an Outerbanks and that package seems to be pretty common.

sharkwaters
04-09-2009, 07:02 AM
I can weigh in on the direct drive issue. I have owned one for 9 years. I have a 1987 express. I pulled out the Volvo 41A and installed a Yanmar 240. The direct drive boats are a little slower if you have the 200 hp Volvo. You will see 15 to 16 knots. The direct drive requirs less maintenance: annual oil change, service the shaft packing as needed, shaft zinc as needed, a better drive if you will slip the boat. Close quarters steering can be dicey if you are not familier with which way the boat goes in reverse. Most go to port in reverse, so a right turn into a slip is the only way. The same goes for tight spots such as getting fuel in Avalon. Watch the wind and current and do not put yourself in a position in which you need to go to starboard, it won't happen. Once you learn it, no problem. Direct drive has anice clean wake for trolling. I can troll my short Marlin lure on the second wake and get bit.
Good luck.
Bob

brian_g
04-09-2009, 08:30 AM
Thanks for the opinion Bob. The speed factor is really not an issue for us (we are not in any hurry). Maneuverability is pretty important though... The boat we have now is OB, so switching to direct drive characteristics would probably involve a steep initial learning curve :D

Thanks again for the info.

Knot Now
04-10-2009, 11:04 AM
What are the advantages of Direct Drive or I/O?

I have noticed that direct drive boats seem to have better fuel economy when compared to I/O,

Is this true?
I was told that I/O get better economy at the same speed.

brian_g
04-10-2009, 02:41 PM
Is this true?
I was told that I/O get better economy at the same speed.

Phil,
At the SD Fred Hall Show I was looking at the Shamrocks and was told that the direct drive was much better on fuel economy. I didn't think to ask about specifics such as "same speed comparison". That's a good point.

-Brian

sharkwaters
05-19-2009, 09:32 AM
The O/D should be faster and more fuel efficient due to the angle of the props. The shaft model saves on maintenance costs. I get 18 kts with the 240 Yanmar fully loaded and 20 kts when light. I have a 1.5 gear ratio and a small prop to gte the rpms correct. Russ has the same engine, but a 2:1 gear and he turns more pitch, so more speed. I get 2.3 MPG in a combo of cruise and trolling. Straight 8 kt trolling gets 7 MPG.

Bob

Wa Mei
05-19-2009, 10:53 AM
I had previously owned 2 Shamrocks..a 20' cc for 1k hours and a 22' w/a for 1.5k hours and they are gas hogs. I love the keel, that it's additional surface area to drag. I would burn between 100-115 gallons of gas fishing the 390 and the 295 launching out of SI. She only hold 100 gallons so I have to strap fuel on the bow.

I/O are more efficient and burn less fuel. I was shocked at how little my gas 25' Skippy was sucking fuel vs. the 22' Shamrock.

I own a 26' Skippy now with the Volvo KAD43 with DP legs and I am getting the 1k hour itch...I have looked at the 26' Outerbank for awhile now...some
of the members on this board was kind enough offer me a chance to look at
theirs.

Inboard is my drive of choice. My next boat will be an inboard. Then again I only cruise at 18 knots on all my boats the last 8-10k hours. However others
are more happy cruising at 24-30 knots.

I have driven both the 26 and the 27 foot Shamrock Macks and the 28' Albin; all are direct drives and I can honestly say I can dock them better than my 26' Skippy.

Good luck with your search...I saw 2 Outerbanks at Cat over the weekend.
One of blew by between 25-30 knots as she rounded the Island so I can only guess it's the same one that does damage to our Cat. WSB fishery (a compliment btw).

Good luck with your search!

Honeygirl
05-20-2009, 05:24 PM
Thanks Wamei. When are you going to come out and fish with me? It's getting good!!!

As far as the inboard Vs I\O. I have an outerbanks with a kad300. I cruise between 22 and 26 knots and top out at 31knots (Light in flat seas). She gets 2.0-2.75gpm depending on weight and seas. I keep the boat in the water and put 700+ hours a year on her. Bottom line is the maintenance sucks! My next boat will be an inboard I feel they are bullet proof and require way less maintenance, but my next boat will also have twins. If you have a single inboard, a bow thruster is the way to go.

Wa Mei
05-20-2009, 11:39 PM
[QUOTE=Honeygirl;8005]Thanks Wamei. When are you going to come out and fish with me? It's getting good!!!

Anytime you have a spot for me Joe. I am available from Friday night
to Sunday evenning. Week days are tough for me to get out.

I will be at Cat this Friday afternoon to Monday afternoon. Other than
that, just say when and I will be there!

Professor
05-21-2009, 07:10 AM
Thanks Wamei. When are you going to come out and fish with me? It's getting good!!!

As far as the inboard Vs I\O. I have an outerbanks with a kad300. I cruise between 22 and 26 knots and top out at 31knots (Light in flat seas). She gets 2.0-2.75gpm depending on weight and seas. I keep the boat in the water and put 700+ hours a year on her. Bottom line is the maintenance sucks! My next boat will be an inboard I feel they are bullet proof and require way less maintenance, but my next boat will also have twins. If you have a single inboard, a bow thruster is the way to go.

What he said. Its all about maintenance, reliability and manuverability.

brian_g
05-21-2009, 03:18 PM
What he said. Its all about maintenance, reliability and manuverability.

I agree. We had been looking at the Longfin a while back and felt like the direct drive was a deal-breaker. That was in our infancy as far as boat shopping though, and I think the direct dive is sounding like a better alternative (keeping in mind the manuverability characteristics).

The search continues.

Thank you very much for all your opinions/advice.

Malu Lani
05-21-2009, 05:31 PM
The problem with the inboard is the loss of the big fish hold .And overall below deck storage we use the fish hold for gear when we go to catalina.
Also it puts the bait tank too close to the stearn I belive the i/o has a better overall layout.

Time Out
05-26-2009, 06:06 AM
I agree with Rob the problem with the indoard is the loss of the fish hold
I have an inboard its a little slower than the outdrive version the big advantage is lower cost if the boat is kept in the water. if you are going to use a trailer than outdrive is the way to go.

Just my opion

Russ

DOGHOUSE26
05-26-2009, 08:35 AM
One more thing, those single screw direct drive Blackmans get marlin bit like no other! It's a very clean wake @ trolling speed and Russ loses more jigs in one day than I do in a season! His boat gets attacked! I agree slip = shaft and Trailer = outdrive; the bow thruster is the way to go!

Time Out
05-28-2009, 06:36 AM
Thanks Jeff

I think ?

DOGHOUSE26
05-28-2009, 07:18 AM
Thanks Jeff

I think ?

Russ, we'll revisit that knot tying seminar once again after you get some time off that high stress job of yours!

Still haven't heard from Dan.

sharkwaters
05-28-2009, 03:59 PM
I will jump back into this. The inboard does get bit very well. I troll at 1400 rpm, 7.2 kts. Very clean wake. I run the lures on waves 2,3,4,5. fuel use is less than 1 GPH. The fuel curve starts at 1600 RPM and 1 GPH. A dock neighbor in DP has a direct drive boat and he had Tony Grayshock at FBU put in a bow thruster for $5,000. He can move the boat any where he wants, wind and current is no problem. Steve mentioned that that new Express he built recently had a thruster and the owner backed in the slip. As far as the fish box goes. I have it on my Express. The bait tank is not too far back. Remember the motor is foward, so you need some weight in the rear.
Bob

Laura Mei
05-29-2009, 05:10 PM
I’ll weigh in here. I have a direct drive on my Outerbanks (Laura Mei). Yanmar 6lp - 315hp. Wake is very clean and last summer boat got bit trolling while others close by didn’t seem too. Not very scientific evidence - we will see how it goes this season. I keep her in the water and in my opinion direct drive is the only way to go if you keep it in a slip - basically no maintenance. With and I/O keeping up with prevention of corrosion and biofouling is a pain in the ass. Downside = not as fast as I/O but with new Yanmar I can do 27 knots which is much faster than you can safely go 98% of the time anyway so that really does not matter …cruise mostly at 17-18 knots. Maneuverability is not great in tight quarters but I am getting better…just have to learn to compensate for the significant pull to port when backing -- with a bow thruster it would be a piece of cake.
Charley

brian_g
06-04-2009, 01:39 PM
I’ll weigh in here. I have a direct drive on my Outerbanks (Laura Mei). Yanmar 6lp - 315hp. Wake is very clean and last summer boat got bit trolling while others close by didn’t seem too. Not very scientific evidence - we will see how it goes this season. I keep her in the water and in my opinion direct drive is the only way to go if you keep it in a slip - basically no maintenance. With and I/O keeping up with prevention of corrosion and biofouling is a pain in the ass. Downside = not as fast as I/O but with new Yanmar I can do 27 knots which is much faster than you can safely go 98% of the time anyway so that really does not matter …cruise mostly at 17-18 knots. Maneuverability is not great in tight quarters but I am getting better…just have to learn to compensate for the significant pull to port when backing -- with a bow thruster it would be a piece of cake.
Charley

BTW,
Awesome Outerbanks Charley!
I have seen the pictures on your research website.

Laura Mei
06-07-2009, 11:32 AM
BTW,
Awesome Outerbanks Charley!
I have seen the pictures on your research website.

Thanks Brian -- I have spent a lot of time (and $$) bringing her up better than new condition. Good luck fishing this season.
Charley