PDA

View Full Version : temperature guage issues?

DirtyE
04-19-2009, 09:16 PM
Well turbo is on and seems to be working fine but I havent' ran it yet because my temp gauge is reading hot it will steadily climb to max temp. I replaced the sending unit, the engine isn't getting hot, I shot it with a heat gun and it never read over 90 degrees, this all in my driveway idling. I bought a new guage that wasn't it, I'm guessing its in the ground or the gauge wire, any ideas. Erik

Al Gagnon
04-19-2009, 10:47 PM
I am having problems with my stbd. oil pressure running about 70#'s and fluctuating to full CW and pegging out. I have not been able to get someone to standby the oil press. gauge at the dash, while I try to jiggle wires to see if it is a loose connection. I may buy a pressure sending unit and go from there. My STBd water temp gauge also reads high so I rigged a Murphy gauge and set the temp at 200 deg. and it goes off if the engine gets warm. It has saved me 2 times. I usualy smell the engine getting hot before the alarm goes off, but the alarm goes off a few seconds after I slow down and start to ck things. Works great. Maybe I will install a Murphy gauge with an alarm for the oil. It works great when you are running and you get side tracked from watching the dash gauges. Let me know if you figure it out. The sending units work based on resistance in the sending unit. If the internal wires get weak or open, etc, the sender will send the wrong voltage to the gauge.