PDA

View Full Version : Raggedy Trailers?

Freespool
04-22-2009, 09:29 AM
I just called to check on the progress of the new trailer I ordered and they are building 3 others for 26’ Blackman’s. Are any of them for anyone here?

Time Out
04-22-2009, 01:17 PM
I think Jeff was talking about a trailer don't know if he ordered one Yet

Russ

DOGHOUSE26
04-22-2009, 01:24 PM
I just called to check on the progress of the new trailer I ordered and they are building 3 others for 26’ Blackman’s. Are any of them for anyone here?

Who did you order the trailer from?

Freespool
04-22-2009, 01:46 PM
Who did you order the trailer from?

Pacific

DOGHOUSE26
04-22-2009, 03:18 PM
I know Blackman currently uses Trail Rite Trailers.

There were alot of 26s built in the 80s & 90s and 20 years is a long time for a salt water boat trailer. Also, alot of owners with no trailer are re-thinking about those high slip fees and how to get around it.

Freespool
04-22-2009, 03:35 PM
I was looking at Trail Rite and they seem to be a good trailer. The reason I went with Pacific is that everything is a bolt on. That way if something happens I can just unbolt whatever is damaged and bolt a new part on and not messing up the galvanizing. The price was really close between the two of them.

DOGHOUSE26
04-22-2009, 09:32 PM
The only trouble with bolts is that unless you locktite the bejesus out of them, they're going to get loose and it typically happens when you're driving an empty trailer; they bounce and shake all the time.

Just as long as the bunk mounts are welded to your boats dimensions, the rest are accessories and you should be OK.

Freespool
04-23-2009, 06:29 AM
That is a draw back of having everything bolted, but one I am willing to deal with. On one of my prior boats I had a blow-out at 50mph that took out my fender and side bunk. After I was done cutting and welding everything back together the galvanizing was useless in that area. That is what got me thinking about having everything being a bolt-on. Well that and my luck with tires and the time at Dana landing when I came in and someone had decided to do a little metal reshaping wile I was out.

Zarco
04-23-2009, 07:19 AM
Luckily mine came with a newer trailrite trailer. Only wished it were galvanized. I can see it rusted out in the future.

Freespool
04-23-2009, 09:11 AM
I wouldn’t worry about it too much my current one is epoxy painted and it is 23 years old. The main reason I am replacing it is to go with a more heavy duty model. If I lived closer to the water I would run it for at least 5 more years with out any major work.

brian_g
04-24-2009, 01:46 PM
There is a trail rite for sale on craigslist for $4250. Says it was made for a blackman if anyone is interested?

I don't know if that's a steal, but I thought I would pass the info along.

Honeygirl
04-25-2009, 04:28 PM
I have had both and my pacific is a way better trailer then my trail-rite ever was. They were both bought new and the customer service at pacific blows trail rite away. They both towed well and serviced there function well. Also my new trailer is triple axle and my other was a double. The difference is unremarkable on how mush better it tows. I would have no problem towing the boat to Washington or further. Just my 2 cents. Joe

Freespool
04-25-2009, 04:41 PM
I have had both and my pacific is a way better trailer then my trail-rite ever was. They were both bought new and the customer service at pacific blows trail rite away. They both towed well and serviced there function well. Also my new trailer is triple axle and my other was a double. The difference is unremarkable on how mush better it tows. I would have no problem towing the boat to Washington or further. Just my 2 cents. Joe

Thanks Joe, glad to hear that. That is the trailer I went with 3 axle 15000# gvwr and electric over hydraulic disk brakes.

Pat

DOGHOUSE26
04-25-2009, 09:32 PM
If I was buying a new trailer for distance I'd get the 3 axle too; I had a blowout on my Aros with no spare and I had to creep along @ 10-15MPH on the shoulder and even that was iffy. I think Charlie has the 12,000# Trail Rite with spare tire, axle, and maybe a spring too; called the baja special. I think both brands are built about the same; it's the GVW rating that sets them apart. A10,000 GVW Trailer puts you right on the edge of the limit.

Professor
04-25-2009, 09:37 PM

Joe,

You don’t need to be going to Washington for any salmon or giant halibut. I’m going to have enough trouble catching up to you as it is. You’re dead nuts on though about 3 axles and Pacific. Double axle is under the load limit for a 26” Blackman that is other than a boat with no gear or fuel and water. I’m headed up to your fishing grounds for the full moon. Save me a spot or two.

Yale

Honeygirl
04-26-2009, 09:20 AM
Pat good to hear, I don’t know about the electric brakes salt water and any thing electric never go good together, plus when you on a rode trip it easy to take spare parts for the disk brakes and you can get the parts for almost any where. But hey it's your trailer.

Yale I will have some motivation posted for you in a little while. It's been a good year so far.

Freespool
05-15-2009, 03:41 PM
Well it is finally here. Four weeks late on a week and a half delivery schedule. I just picked it up today and haven’t got the boat on it yet hope to do the switch in two to three weeks work permitting. It looks great and tows great, the electric over hydraulic disk brakes are really nice. The only issue is one of the maintenance free greaseless hubs is in need of maintenance. It has a sizeable leek but they are guaranteed for 10 years

DOGHOUSE26
05-15-2009, 08:57 PM
Congratulations on the new trailer! Sounds like you went first class all the way and not having to worry about your trailer getting your boat to and from your fishing destination is a big plus; if my boat wasn't slipped I don't know if I would have it and I'm sure I would use it 75% less than I do now dragging it on my original Aros trailer. I was seriously considering buying the Trail Rite on Craigs list but if I put the same money back into my Aros I think I'd be dollars ahead; it's a stonger trailer with 8 lugs instead of 6; and the main frame channels are larger. But Joe and you are right, 12-15,000 GVW is the way to go.

Freespool
05-15-2009, 09:41 PM
Thanks, with the drive I have to get to the water a 15000# gvw is a must. I always see the CHP pulling the people with the big Weekend Warrior type trailers over on my way home. Those over weight tickets are not cheep and neither is bailing a boat out of an impound yard plus the tow bill. The only drawback is I wanted to get rid of my class A license and now I cant.

DOGHOUSE26
05-16-2009, 01:30 PM
I'm afraid to weigh my fully loaded boat & Trailer; I don't have a Class A license and they're checking that more and more; mostly with Bobcats/dump trailers and the fines ain't cheap!