PDA

View Full Version : Best location for Epirb

Pez Espada
06-04-2009, 07:09 AM
I will be installing a new epirb on my billfisher and was wondering where the best location would be. I am thinking up in the flybridge on the starboard side just off the deck. This location would be out of sight and out of the path of travel and easy to get to. I also have my life vests close by under the flybridge brow. I have the ACR cat 1 with the auto-eject and am concerned as these things are sensitive to vibration and may auto-eject in sloppy weather. So my idea of the flybridge may not be a good idea. I would prefer not to display this thing on the rear bulkhead for aesthetic reasons and theft. All feedback is appreciated.

Thanks, Zack

DOGHOUSE26
06-04-2009, 07:42 AM
I was thinking about the same location, easy for the captain to get to and still reachable from the main deck; I'm not going to wait for the auto deployment to happen! Which exact model do you have and where did you get yours? I need to get one installed before the offshore season says my wife!

Pez Espada
06-04-2009, 09:35 AM
I purchased the latest and greatest Cat 1. ACR Globalfix iPro // 406 mhz GPS Epirb. Ordered it through comsumer marine with a factory rebate.

DOGHOUSE26
06-04-2009, 11:26 AM
I think that is the one I was looking at; either Phantom Marine or West Marine had the same one on sale a couple of weeks ago but when i checked Consumer's they didn't have a factory rebate. I've bought quite a bit from CE over the last 3 years they're usually lowest price. Thanks

Zarco
06-05-2009, 07:38 AM
I just mounted mine. I put it just inside the house on the bathroom wall. So when you open the door to the head it would be behind it. Out of the weather and easily accessible in the event of emergency

DOGHOUSE26
06-05-2009, 08:33 AM
The last place you want an EPIRB is inside a latched cabin door. Even if it doesn't have automatic deployment you don't want to have to go back inside a sinking vessel to release the EPIRB. Exposure to weather will not affect the unit's performance, I think you should reconsider your mounting location to a more exterior accessible space. You never know how much time you will have in an emergency.

Pez Espada
06-05-2009, 08:35 AM
I decided to install my epirb inside the head on the hinge side of the door right of the mirror. I realize the auto-eject function will not be utilized the way it is meant to but I figure I will have time in the case of an emergency to grab it. This location will also be out of the way and out of sight out of mind if you know what I mean.

Thanks for all the input, Zack

Zarco
06-05-2009, 10:22 AM
The last place you want an EPIRB is inside a latched cabin door. Even if it doesn't have automatic deployment you don't want to have to go back inside a sinking vessel to release the EPIRB. Exposure to weather will not affect the unit's performance, I think you should reconsider your mounting location to a more exterior accessible space. You never know how much time you will have in an emergency.

That's where blackman puts them? I won't have to go inside the cabin.just reach in and grab it. Better than having to climb the ladder to get to it if on deck.

DOGHOUSE26
06-05-2009, 01:32 PM
When the Head Door is open or shut you still have to step inside and reach around it; I seen Epirbs either mounted midway on the portside bulkhead underneath the window and behind the ladder or on the bridge side panel starboard side just off the end of the bench seat. You can reach either location while both of your feet are on the main deck.

Malu Lani
06-05-2009, 05:04 PM
Blackman installed mine as high as possible to the right starboard side ext bulkhead of the head facing the stearn.I looked at auto setups but would rather have it in my hands when the the ship goes down.

Zarco
06-05-2009, 10:18 PM
It's all good man. I put mine where "I" thought was a good spot.( I have the Acr sattellite2)