PDA

View Full Version : Battery confugration and management

yellowfin1
05-19-2004, 11:55 AM
I am in the process of replacing my four batteries. My boat does not have any battery management switches whatsoever (not even an on/off switch). After reading a little about batteries in the West Marine catalogue I am considering using an 1,2,both, and off switch to manage my batteries. I thought I will purchase two starting batteries and configure them to the 1 position, and two deep cell AGM batteries and aligning them to the 2 position. I have a couple questions which some of you may be able to help with...

1. Is it a no-no to mix the two types of batteries (different charging characteristics) in the same bank? They would both be charging and discharging when the switch is in the both position.

2. Does the AD-41 alternator/generator provide enough juice to charge 4 batteries while running in the both configuration?

3. Are any of you using a auto charging relay or combiner on your boat?

DOGHOUSE26
05-19-2004, 01:17 PM
Scott,

I'm surprised you don't have a battery switch above your batteries on the port side compartment just below the deck. I have one which I never use and it's so corroded I'm afraid to touch it so I just leave it alone!

I'm running 4 -Group 27 Interstate Deep Cycle marine batteries linked for 2 banks; engine starting and house side. I believe Delcos are better; they can be purchased @ Brodins in La Mesa off Commercial St. maybe $65-75 each.

I have an automotive style solanoid behind my breaker panel which isolates the house and engine banks when the ignition is off but connects them when the engine is running thus charging both banks. Very simple to install.

I haven't had a problem yet with leaving my bait tank and anchor lights running all night and then charging them the next day while fishing; I'm not sure about 2 days though. I have a newer style refridgerator which doesn't suck as much juice as the old ones which helps also. On weekends or overnighters I carry a Honda EU1000 generator up under the bridge with a build in battery charger in case I need it.

yellowfin1
05-19-2004, 02:22 PM
Jeff,

Thanks for the reply. Have you ever had to use the generator to charge the batteries to start the engine?

Knot Now
05-19-2004, 03:18 PM
Scott,
I have the same system as Jeff.
My battery switch only controls power to the bridge starting switch. I think the system could use a battery switch or isolator diode between the #1 (starting) and #2 (house) battery banks because if one of the batteries develops an internal short or bad cell it could pull the whole system down while you are running. I have not installed a switch yet.
I had no trouble last weekend, my first overnighter. I ran the bait pump, refrigerator, GPS and lights overnight. The bank still showed 50% charge at about 3:30 am. I would be careful using the microwave as after lunch I checked the charge and it was down to 25% on the house batteries.
Phil
Knot Now

hijole
05-19-2004, 08:23 PM
I agree with Jeff on the batteries. I have replaced my DELCO batteries every 5 years for the heck of it. Five years ago I gave my old batteries to a freind with a Skipjack. He still had them going.
I wanted to buy the next pair 2 years ago but Don wouldn't sell them to me until they were bad.
I also have the same wiring that Jeff mentioned including the solenoid.

Moo Fish
05-19-2004, 09:46 PM
IMHO--

1. Don't mix battery types. All lead-acid or gel or etc.

2. The stock VP alternator will be hard pressed to keep the battery banks (at least the house side) charged. And "charged" is a relative term. If you need the juice, big bucks for a big, dual output alternator. The Yamahammer or Honda 1000 watt generator is a must accessory if you plan on two day trips.

3. No experience with the isolator / combiners other than the standard Blackman solenoid set up.

There is no such thing as too many amp-hours in the battery banks. I have a pair of 31's to crank the 40a and a pair of 31's for the house. And no microwave or refer.

Let's see, between the boat, tractors, and trucks, that's 12 batteries :eek:

rt

DOGHOUSE26
05-19-2004, 11:57 PM
Haven't had to use the charger yet for starting; only for squid lights !

yellowfin1
05-20-2004, 07:46 AM
Wow! I love this site!!! Thanks for all the feedback. Jeff I am dumbarse. I do have a on/off switch. The knob is corroded and since broken off so it isn't apparent that it is there. I probably have the selenoid also. I'll check it out. Thanks to all for the great feedback. RT--12 Batteries wow? Guess you are a farmer?

Scott

chrisc
05-23-2004, 08:56 AM
Folks,

Some of you mention carrying a small Honda gas genset unit for overnight trips. What's your usage strategy? Do you use it to apply a continuous battery charge during the night, do you use it for running "exceptional" 120V items (like a tv), or ..... ? I was thinking of getting one to charge the batteries overnight (basically letting it run till it runs out of gas), but even the larger Honda EU2000i unit can only supply 8A/hour DC for a portion of the evening - and I'm concerned about tripping the breaker with continous/excessive current draw, since I'm sucking more than 8 amps/hour at my lowest usage point.

Context: I have a 5 battery setup - 2 are starters and 3 are deep discharge isolated for house usage (all group 27). It's common for me to anchor up at Clemente for 12 hours at a time, and even with running my engine when using the microwave or coffee pot (the inverter can really suck serious amps) I can bring my house batteries down to 25% remaining charge come morning.

Thanks, Chris