PDA

View Full Version : Putting seaboard on the bunks

Al Gagnon
07-01-2009, 10:55 PM
I talked to a friend today, that was at the launch ramp at Shelter Island just before I went fishing on Sunday. He said that my boat looked very heavy and it took a lot to launch off the trailer. He suggest something that I never thought about. He said he helped a friend bring a boat from back east that was a 30 ft. boat. The trick to launch a heavy boat is too install seaboard on the bunks and the boat should slide off a lot easier. He said it did not have to run the full length of the bunk. Does that sound doable to anyone out there? I will need to get some material that is think enough and will take a counter sunk screw. That may solve my problem, without extending the tongue.

Professor
07-02-2009, 03:14 AM
It will also be sliding when you step on the brakes, accelerate and go up hill and down hill. It’ll need lots of tie downs and to be chained to the trailer really well. I’m not sure I like the idea.

To The Limit
07-02-2009, 07:34 AM
I do not know what brand of trailer you have but I had a Pacific trailer for my 26' Billfisher. I had Pacific install star board type, I think it was more telfon, material and it worked like a charm. The boat never moved, I had no tie downs other than the bow strap. I towed it twice to Mag Bay. It sure made launching and retrieving a breeze for my wife and I. I would sure call them. They are in Chino.

DOGHOUSE26
07-02-2009, 09:49 AM
Al,

Call San Diego Plastics in National City for the best price on starboard

Al Gagnon
07-02-2009, 10:04 AM
I have replaced my door with the stuff and it was around $80. They do have some in the scrap bin but I may as well get a full sheet. Not sure if I will put one entire section or break it up in sections. I do not think it will slide due to a safety chain and the 15,000 lb. rated strap. I will post a message on Bloody decks to see if anyone else has used the stuff. I do not think it will get brittle and break due to the sun not hitting it, only when I am in the water. Glad to hear that someone has some experience using it.

DOGHOUSE26
07-02-2009, 11:55 AM
I think I would use 1/2" material, I don't think you need 3/4" if you're going over solid wood.

Al Gagnon
07-02-2009, 12:56 PM
Jeff, the bunk boards are about 4" thick, doubled up 2X4, to keep the boat raised away from the fenders. I will counter sink the starboard with flat philip, not sure the size yet. Will only need one ever12" to 18", maybe further away. Thanks for any and all suggestions offered. Will probably router all edges.

Al Gagnon
07-02-2009, 05:37 PM
Spoke to the previous owner about the boat being difficult to launch. He said that his sons lobster boat had some problems and he used silcone spray on the front portion of the bunks, to help in launching the boat, but watch out the boat does not slip off the trailer, use safety chain, etc. I guess that will be my next process to help launch the boat. I do not think it will slip off the trailer that easily.

iclypso
07-02-2009, 07:36 PM
Spoke to the previous owner about the boat being difficult to launch. He said that his sons lobster boat had some problems and he used silcone spray on the front portion of the bunks, to help in launching the boat, but watch out the boat does not slip off the trailer, use safety chain, etc. I guess that will be my next process to help launch the boat. I do not think it will slip off the trailer that easily.

Anecdotally, that is the biggest danger since you don't have the stern tie-downs on yet. That being said, I've never heard a firsthand (or even secondhand) account of a boat slipping off. It's always a friend-of-a-friend's-friend.

Freespool
07-02-2009, 08:03 PM
Anecdotally, that is the biggest danger since you don't have the stern tie-downs on yet. That being said, I've never heard a firsthand (or even secondhand) account of a boat slipping off. It's always a friend-of-a-friend's-friend.

I have seen it in person 3 times at Oceanside. It is NOT a pretty sight. One of the times it was a friend of mine, and it was the first trip an a brand new boat. I was about ten feet away wen the boat hitthe deck and it scared the s**t out of me. Believe it or not the tow bill for the two trucks it took to get the boat back on the trailer was more than repairing the damage to the boat.

Al Gagnon
07-02-2009, 09:39 PM
I will surely let you guys know how it goes and I will not be disconnecting the safety chain or winch strap before the boat is in the water. Same with pulling out of the water. Safety chain and winch strap will be on. Pulling the boat out of the water is very slow. If the driver tries to step on the throttle too much, the back tires on the dually will spin, even if in 4X4.

iclypso
07-03-2009, 02:53 AM
I have seen it in person 3 times at Oceanside. It is NOT a pretty sight. One of the times it was a friend of mine, and it was the first trip an a brand new boat. I was about ten feet away wen the boat hitthe deck and it scared the s**t out of me. Believe it or not the tow bill for the two trucks it took to get the boat back on the trailer was more than repairing the damage to the boat.

I've seen boats come off of trailers with regular carpet bunks but never when a trailer had starboard or something similar. Did the trailers have teflon/starboard in the instances you've seen?

DOGHOUSE26
07-03-2009, 09:20 AM
The one time I saw it happen is was at Dana Launch Ramp, the boat was a 24-26' Cuddy Cruiser, and it was an Easy - Load Trailer with all rollers. once the boat hit the ramp incline it was all over!

Our boats are so heavy I would be shocked if one slipped off a set of carpet/ silicone sprayed bunks. However starboard is hard and slick at I could see it happen with starboard bunks.

Freespool
07-03-2009, 10:05 AM
I've seen boats come off of trailers with regular carpet bunks but never when a trailer had starboard or something similar. Did the trailers have teflon/starboard in the instances you've seen?

No they were just carpet. The ramp at Oceanside is very steep and people still think they dont need to hook the strap on.