PDA

View Full Version : Street Wires

Al Gagnon
07-13-2009, 11:57 AM
I took out another cox cable from someones house. It may be the same house as last time. I need to go back and apologize. I am very upset, esdpecialy if I did something wrong. It could have wrapped around a pedistrian and I would not have even knmown. My antenna grabed it. I am about 14 ft. some inches. Maybe the some inches is doing the damage. I know that the house is away from the street and is an old house that is low to the ground. The poles are across the street so the cable droops a lot as it goes across the street. I thought cables are suppose to be 15 ft. minimum. Anybody work around street stuff that knows how hi to put cable. I have a friend with the tele service and he may know. I am going out to see shat happened. I am a nervous person right about now.

Zarco
07-13-2009, 07:18 PM
I always thought 14' was the legal height?

Freespool
07-13-2009, 08:33 PM
I always thought 14' was the legal height?

13.5'

NoSlack
07-13-2009, 09:09 PM
Per the California Vehicle Code (CVC), no loads shall exceed a height of 14 feet. The CVC Height Section is 35250, and is copied below:

35250. No vehicle or load shall exceed a height of 14 feet measured from the surface upon which the vehicle stands, except that a double-deck bus may not exceed a height of 14 feet, 3 inches. Any vehicle or load which exceeds a height of 13 feet, 6 inches, shall only be operated on those highways where deemed to be safe by the owner of the vehicle or the entity operating the bus.

Al Gagnon
07-13-2009, 09:58 PM
I spoke to the previous owner. He had problems with the props getting bent when going over a dip on the road and the props hit the street and were getting bent. He wanted to raise the boat higher so the props would not hit. He said when he added a extra bunk board and reversed the springs to be on top of the axle, it was marginal 13' 6". I may have to measure again and decide if I need to reverse the springs back. He added a commercial life raft on top of the boat because he registered the boat as a commercial cod boat. I think what happened is that one of my antennas drop to the forward of the boat and it was not laying all the way down. The road has some pot holes in one area and cause the antennas to bounce a little. I think the antenna bounced at just the correct time, grabbed the wire and then the wire slid the the base of the antenna where the SS base is and gripped the wire and the rest is history. I felt the antenna and it was some what loose in the base. I need to do some further research. Bad day to say the least. I traveled that road many times and started to get comfortable with my height. I was even going over the center line so I would be clear. This time I had to stay in my line due to traffic. Did not hear or feel anything.