PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Polishing services

yellowfin1
05-20-2004, 02:33 PM
OK, A little more help please. With the new engine probably going in mid-June timeframe, I'd like to polish my fuel system. I have talked to one company who provides this service in which they come to my house and perform this service. They apparently access the fuel tank through the sender hole and scrub the tank as well as polish the fuel with their pump/filter system, they also add a biocide. They complete all this in 3 hours and charge $375. Any body got a better/cheaper idea which is effective?

Moo Fish
05-20-2004, 09:06 PM
How many tanks and how many baffles in the tanks?? Can you get to all compartments in the tanks? Depending on the tank condition, the biocide will cause the algea, etc. to slough off the tank after the fact. Circulation rates, filter sizes and mesh, etc., etc. I am admittedly skeptical.These polishers do their best work in your wallet. If you have the tanks polished, don't let the guy leave until the filters are clean......

Were you having a problem with the Racors and the 40b??

Just for kicks, access the tank through the sender port. Take a hand pump and tape the pickup tube to a dowel. Drop the tube / dowel to the lowest corner of the tank and pump. See what sucks up from the bottom of the tank. I did this on my tank expecting all kinds of grunge. Nothing there and the Racors are not clogging.

rt

DOGHOUSE26
05-20-2004, 09:30 PM
If you go that route make sure you have less than a half tank (-3/4 on my guage) preferably less than 50 (-1/2). He will then be able to splash/scrub the sides of your tank better. I didn't notice any baffles in mine, just a deep vee tank with the pick up down the rear center about 3/4" above the bottom. I think it's a little cheaper at Pearson's Fuel dock @ Shelter Island but you have to be in the water to do it. They then give you a super cheap rate to fill up afterwards!

yellowfin1
05-21-2004, 09:21 AM
Jeff/RT,

Good advise thanks again. The guy I spoke with from the fuel polishers says that the Blackman tanks have one baffle, he said he is very familiar with the set-up. I believe I may have some bugs in there because my RACOR filter has black stuff in it. I will do as you recommended to see if the fuel in my tank and in the bottom of the tank has any bugs. I should have thought of that. Duh!

Scott