PDA

View Full Version : Outdrive leak question

Sleigher1
07-28-2009, 10:27 AM
Hi All,
After fixing the stripped threads on my rear shaft and replacing the thrust bearings and props (I hate outdrives) I noticed oil dripping off the skeg.
Oh yeah, I also replaced the drive oil while at it.
At first I thought it was the seals but on closer inspection it appears to be coming from the lower boot.
What's in there?
I also just finished replacing the hydraulic reservoir and oil (10w30) for the tilt system. There was some murkiness to the oil I took out.
The seals on the rams look fine and there is no weeping from them.
While I'm at it; what's a good way to check the boots?
They look good.
Thanks in advance.
Oh yeah this is a DP-C

NoSlack
07-28-2009, 10:55 AM
The bottom boot is the exhaust. Can't think of any way outdrive oil could come out there. You can loosen the clamps on both boots and push them forward to see if you have oil inside. The top one might have grease splater in it if the U-joint were over greased. if there is oil in it, the front drive seal could be leaking.

Mike

http://www.marinepartseurope.com/PentaPictures500/9068.jpg

yellowfin1
07-28-2009, 02:22 PM
If your sure that the oil is coming from the boot then Ok but, are you sure that maybe you just didn't forget to replace the washer in the drain plug? OK, probably a dumb question.

Sleigher1
07-28-2009, 03:30 PM
Well, I'll look again.
My first impression of where it was coming from was wrong so maybe my second was as well.
Third time charm I think is how it goes.
When I replaced the reservoir on the trim pump I put the drive all the way up. Causing the rams to extend. The boat is parked on a hill (facing down) so maybe the upper seal is leaking, then leaking out of the upper boot and then onto the lower boot.
I hate boats.
I'll look again.
I really didn't want to pull the outdrive yet. I haven't even put the stupid boat in the water.
Thanks again.

Peter

Knot Now
07-28-2009, 04:18 PM
The Trim oil and gear oils are very different.

If the oil is clean, try collecting a drop on white paper.

Then compare to a drops of trim oil and gear oil on the paper.

Most gear oil also has a very distinctive smell.

Phil

Sleigher1
07-29-2009, 12:57 PM
I poked around it a little last night.
Might be coming from the upper boot but I didn't get a chance to take the clamp off.
The oil looks like motor oil. The gear lube I used was the synthetic stuff that the book called for and I think that was clear though it's been sitting in the drive for a few months now. Not spinning, just sitting.
To replace the upper seal- does the shaft have to come out of the drive?

P