PDA

View Full Version : Caught a few

Al Gagnon
08-02-2009, 06:41 AM
Went out Saturday 8-1-09, Found a good paddie, around the same place we picked up 2 YT on friday, NW of the North Island. We had a triple hook up. One YT & 2 Dodo's. The one male DOdo went 31 lbs. YT was about 12 to 14 lbs. Female Dodo was about 13 lbs. That was it for the day. Weather was great allday. Boat ran good. Just woke up and still a little sore but wide awake. Will be pulling the boat out today. Had some good fun.

NoSlack
08-02-2009, 04:19 PM
#31 is a nice Bull for around here. Congrats Al

Mike

yellowfin1
08-03-2009, 09:18 AM
Wow,

That is a big dodo for round here. Good fight? What # line did you get that fish on? My biggest local dodo went ~22lbs and it kicked my but on 25lb line. My buddy speared a very large dodo a couple weeks ago so, there are certainly more than a few big ones around.

Al Gagnon
08-03-2009, 02:11 PM
I am fairly sure it was 25# test. Most of the lines I use are 20 or 25lbs. test. The male dod, the big one, slapped the heck out of my left arm as it hit the deck, then proceeded to slap my sons foot about 5 times before he could jump out of the way. It was still kicking in the large ice chest for another 20 to 30 minutes. The tale was sticking out of the cooler. My son and I posted some pics on Bloodydecks, under Tuna Choker. Check it out. . I will try to add some pics on this site.
Al

yellowfin1
08-04-2009, 07:54 AM
Ouch,
Those dodos can really hurt you once in the boat. My buddy once caught a dodo on a rapala and had one of the trebble hooks get stuck in his leg while the fish flopped around in the boat. Gotta be careful with those things.

Al Gagnon
08-04-2009, 09:21 AM
Watching out that you do not get a treble hook entering into your body while the fish is kicking around is a big AAmen. I try to get the head of the fish to point to the corner in the stern. . That way his head is in the corner, with the hook, and only his tail is hitting you. Then I will push my large cooler agains the fish and wait till it calms down. Sharks can be more dangerous while pulling the hook out of the mouth. :eek: