PDA

View Full Version : Caught somelocal Blue Fin

Al Gagnon
08-09-2009, 08:59 PM
Went out last Thursday late about midnight, and anchored till 5:00. went out to the 425 and taking water over the bow, turned back toward the Islands. The boat brought in 3 BF tuna. The first, I had one on the line via trolling live bait and it was spooling me and my son helped get it stopped. I told him to continue on, he spent about 20 minutes and was pooped out so he gave it too his friend, he got pooped and then it got hung on the prop. My son was ready to go over the side with a spear gun but forgot about taking his wallet out. By then it came loose off the prop. They pulled it out on the bow. Went a little over 30 lbs. The friend got 2 more and we lost one at gaff. Weather was rough. Caught them at the same place we fished the last two times. West of the north island. That place seems to be our honey hole.

Old Blue
08-09-2009, 11:48 PM
Wow Al, it sounds like your using your noodle out there to coax some of those local bluefin into a bite. Can you share how you're going about it? What test line are your using? Any special techniques? With a 30 lb fish on for that length of time, it sounds like light line. But how light? and what kind of setup?

Al Gagnon
08-10-2009, 11:37 AM
It may have been that we had a b/p feather just ahead of the one that was only a large sardine on it. I think the second one was caught on a rapala. I think the third was just tossing a free sardine in the crashing fish. It was all luck and playing the fish. The smaller ones came in a lot easier. We gave all three freedom to go if they started to pull hard. We lost one at the gaff and I was very upset. The large one was a miracle fish since we had the sucker caught under the ster, must have been on the strut, because it did not break. It was either 25 or 30 lb. I know it was not 20#. I do not pay much attention to the rig when fishing. I just grab what is close by that looks like it may work. I personaly think it is all chance. Some times you get them and some times you dont. If I knew something , tricks etc.. I would always catch fish. I think it is going to be a bumper year for yellow fin. Just a hunch. I am going to stick close to the islands instead of going long with the rest of the group. It gives me a lot more time of actual fishing. Just my hunch.