PDA

View Full Version : Anything change offshore?

Al Gagnon
09-05-2009, 08:24 AM
Going to a family reunioin this weekend so can't go out Saturday. If I can get some people to go out on Tuesday, may give it a try. I would like to limit out but seems the only way is to go long to the 1010 and there abouts. Have not heard anything about the boat that hit the rocks at North Coronado Island. The only Blackman boat that I heard from is Jason (Zarco) and his freezer must be full. Lobster season is coming up and I know that is not considered off shore but just bringin it up for discussion. Sounds like there is still albicore and blufin down south. Weather report says water from 74 to 77 at the beachs. That has to be some kind of record.

DOGHOUSE26
09-05-2009, 09:02 AM
I think if you want decent albacore and bluefin, then you better figure 100+ miles southwest; still plenty of local YFT around from the 1010 all the way up here to straight out of MB 15 miles, from the Finger out to the SS Knoll.

Al Gagnon
09-05-2009, 09:38 AM
Do you think that the albie's and blufin will make a appearance closer to home? The water is way to warm close to shore. Maybe the Butterfly or Mushroom? :cool:

DOGHOUSE26
09-05-2009, 12:53 PM
They're getting a few big albies @ the 1010, but I don't think they will get any closer than that. Maybe the Dumper or Mushroom, but probably the Tanner @ 100nm. It's going to be YFT for awhile now.

Old Blue
09-05-2009, 02:19 PM
I was out yesterday and plenty of people limited out on the Yfin. You have to find the right patty or be able to convert the jig strike to a bait bite. There were also plenty of people who were skunked. My observation was that there seemed to be fish everywhere for some decent scratch fishing but if you found the right patty or got the right jig strike that would go to bait, then you would do well.

The 425 to the hidden seemed to get talked about a lot on the radio yesterday. That was the area where Nathan and I fished. We scatched out 4 jig strikes with one bait fish and that was it for us. It was also very frustrating since we could see boats stopping everywhere we went , sometimes they had bent rods and sometimes not. We trolled slow all day with what Old Blue usually does best with and noticed that the X Raps with hoochies and the large jet head with hoochies were the only one of our jigs to get hit. We also had no skipjack all day. All the other boats looked to be trolling slow also. Cedar plug did not get hit, but then again we were trolling slow and I think those need to be run at 7+ knots to run right. The water was very nice - full cruise on the way home sitting in the trough of the western swell and riding the southern swell home from the hidden bank.

We saw no bait on the meter all day except for some surface marks that I think may be those little jellyfish. A lot of fish activity was around those areas also. Some guys up on the 181-182 were saying those areas had tons of bait but not a lot of fish. If I go again on Sunday afternoon I will probably try Mike's suggestion and just cruise outside the nine to outside the islands fishing porpoise.

The ramp at shelter island was worse than I have ever seen it both at launch and retrieval. For retrieval I let my trailer man off on the beach just to the left of the ramp were all the dingys are and waited outside till the trailer was ready. THIS WAS ON FRIDAY. Fish this weekend at your own risk - you will have company, if I do I will launch at southshores in mission bay.

Go get em and enjoy the great weather and a break from heat.

Zarco
09-07-2009, 09:35 AM
We originally were heading to the 290 area but a little mishap changed our minds.( when we left sat night it was hot so we opened the front hatch to let air in. We left it open all night and just as I was falling asleep after my wheel watch we took a wave broadside that sent water clear up to the bridge, soaked the driver pretty good, but dumped at least 5 gallons of water onto my buddy and I as we slept. Pretty much soaked all bedding,clothes,etc.) After that we turned toward the 425 to stay close as one guy was feeling seasick,my son (who was on the table bunk warm and dry) thought it was hilarious. We did manage 13 yellowfin,1 dorado,1 skippy,my son lost his trophy fish at the gaff when it spit the hook after a good 20min fight.nice bull dodo about 5ft long.(paybacks a bitch!)

Al Gagnon
09-07-2009, 05:37 PM
Sounds like a scary moment. Takes a little time to get your senses back and check that nothing broke or shorted. Makes you think twice on traveling at night. Sounds like a rogue wave or something. Glad you got fish. I might try to go out on Friday, if the YF keep showing. Cant assume the tuna will continue to bite. Wondering if the moon phase will change things. Going toi fuel up tomorrow and thenstart calling for people that want to go. Kind of tempted to go down 65 miles or maybe try outside the 9. Should know for sure by thursday. Jason glad everything is ok

Zarco
09-07-2009, 09:47 PM
Wasn't a real big deal. Not even scary.Just gotta remember to keep that hatch closed when the ride is bumpy.