PDA

View Full Version : Bottom Of the Nine

Time Out
10-31-2009, 07:20 PM
Fished the 9 today very good fishing on all my spots big reds two nice lings great weather flat seas doesn't get any better

Russ

NoSlack
10-31-2009, 09:01 PM
I hit that area on Friday and it was real scratchy fishing. Most of my spots are 340'-350'. You guys fishing deeper than that?

I'll give them another shot on Sunday. May head back up to Torrey where we found some big Reds a few weeks ago or hit the nine again.

Mike

Professor
10-31-2009, 09:47 PM
Sounds like a great day on the water to me. I was begining to think that all the Blackman boats had quit fishing for the year. Good job Russ

NoSlack
11-01-2009, 04:09 PM
Turned north and fished Torrey on Sunday. No current and slow fishing. Picked up 2 nice reds and a hand full of miscellaneous before throwing in the towel at noon.

Mike

DOGHOUSE26
11-01-2009, 05:39 PM
Mike if you're fishing in 340' your probably 1/2 mile north of the bottom of the 9 and about 1/2 - 3/4nm too far east; the plateau on the east side is loaded with a large variety of small rockfish. Work your way west to 360-365' and keep going to where the shelf drops off to 380-420'. Then work north and south between these depths and find 10-15' rockpiles with the occasional 20-30' peak which the reds are holding on. The reds will be suspended 5-20' above the peak and on my meter looks like a greenplume of smoke off to the side of a volcano while the groupers will be right on the rocks and show as a green/yellow mark. Bank Perch often mark out like reds. As far as lings go, the bigger ones will be closer to the base of the rockpile with the little ones high on the peak, however if the water is clear and the bait is large the bigger lings will attack first and that's why the first guy down more often than not catch the biggest lings.

NoSlack
11-01-2009, 05:53 PM
Thanks Jeff. I've got a full week at work, including Saturday. If the weather holds I'll hit it on Sunday next weekend.

Mike

DOGHOUSE26
11-01-2009, 07:11 PM
I think we're working both days next weekend, I wish I would have known you went today I would have tried it (had my knee scoped last Weds but it feels alot better than before).

I'll know by the end of the week.

My slip buddy next next door scored almost limits on reds on the bumps straight off MB yesterday; the current ran him off mid morning.

hijole
11-02-2009, 07:23 AM
What's the knee thing?

yellowfin1
11-02-2009, 08:28 AM
Hmmm,

I've been quiet and just lurking on the site for a few weeks. Finally some decent info which is getting me pumped to get after some rockfish. Gonna give it a try Tuesday.

Thanks,
Scott

DOGHOUSE26
11-02-2009, 09:03 AM
What's the knee thing?

Been hobbling around for a couple of months, i have severe arthritis under both kneecaps, had my left one cleaned 2 years ago and now my right knee last week. They say I'm too young for knee replacement but that day is coming sooner than they think!

Time Out
11-02-2009, 11:30 AM
Mike we fished all over the lower part of the 9, never more than 420 or less than 320 nice fishing we had limts on the reds in a couple of hours. We didn't fish my best spots too many sport boats watching. Most of the reds are 3 to 4 lbs the two lings I didn't weigh we did measure them at 36 inches. All live bait no strip
the wind picked up just enough to give us a good drift. Very nice day

Russ

Russ