PDA

View Full Version : Nov 11 Cod

NoSlack
11-11-2009, 03:55 PM
Fished that hard spot on the inside of the 9 my Bro in-law spotted this summer. Still holding market grade squid and a good variety of fish. Today it was Speckled rockfish, Greenspots and 2 more Banks. At least I believe they are Bank Rockfish.

I had a long conversation with the Biologist at the ramp and she first thought they were Bronzespotted but I think I convinced her otherwise. Sent a couple good photos to her and I'll see what she comes back with.

Mike

Bank on the top, Speckled below
http://bocaboard.com/data/noslack/Bank&Speckled (Small).JPG

Malu Lani
11-11-2009, 06:04 PM
How do you get them to pose for pictures?

Time Out
11-12-2009, 05:59 AM
Rob

You have heard of the Dog whisper haven't you ?

Mike speaks to the fishies

And they smell the same

Sorry Mike :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p

Russ

NoSlack
11-12-2009, 06:24 AM
As long as you aren't talking about Bocaccio, I'll take that as a complement.

Got an email back for the Biologist and she confirms the top fish is a Bank rockfish. I was calling the bottom fish a Bank for the past 20 years until the Biologist that works the ramp in SD bay showed me otherwise this summer. That's what kicked off my quest to catch the real deal. The only place I've found them is on the east edge on the squid.

MIke

DOGHOUSE26
11-12-2009, 07:37 AM
Mike I've thought the same thing all along, I thought the top one was a Chilepepper because of the red lateral line and I've been calling the lower one Bank Perch forever. About how long were they?

NoSlack
11-12-2009, 11:31 AM
All the Banks and most of the Speckles were in the 1 to 1 1/2 pound range.

This is a Chilipepper, unless I'm wrong on that one too.
http://members.cox.net/noslack/Chilipepper.jpg

hijole
11-12-2009, 12:41 PM
My mom would disagree with both of you regarding what a chilipeper looks like.

Knot Now
11-12-2009, 02:47 PM
Bronzespotted Rockfish are on the NO TAKE LIST

Your "bronzespotted" does not look anything like the pictures on the internet.

I have always IDed the bottom fish as a bank perch rockfish

DOGHOUSE26
11-12-2009, 03:58 PM
BUSTED

NoSlack
11-12-2009, 04:22 PM
I think the reason the Bronzespotted made the no take list is the depth range is much like the Cowcod.

Bronzespots also have an upturned jaw like a Bocaccio and 2 bright orange spots on thier back. That's why it didn't take long for the DFG girl to see things my way and lable them Bank rockfish. I do my best to know what I'm bringing back to the beach, but there is always something new to learn.

Did you guys know if a fish is on the DFG no take list you can't bring it back from Mexican waters, even if you fill out your declaration form. This also goes for short fish that have a size limit in California.

Mike

Not Busted, free to fish another day.

yellowfin1
11-13-2009, 08:24 AM
Wow,

Very confusing. A color blind person would do well to not keep any rock fish. My solution to avoid being busted for taking the wrong fish would be to fillet everything (leaving the 1" patch of skin of course). If the DFG folks have a hard time ID'ing whole fish, surely they would not be able to ID the small patch?

All kidding aside, you are probably doing the right thing by attempting to ID all the various rockfish.

NoSlack
11-13-2009, 10:18 AM
(8) Rockfish: Fillets must have the entire skin attached. Bocaccio fillets must be a minimum of five inches in length. The minimum size and minimum fillet size for rockfish may be changed during the year or in-season by the department under the authority of sub-section 27.20(e). The department will provide a news release notifying the public 10 calendar days in advance of a
change to the minimum size and minimum fillet size for rockfish made under the authority of sub-section 27.20(e).

Rockfish rules have to be the states cash cow.

Knot Now
11-13-2009, 10:26 AM
I have heard the fine for a single rockfish "over the limit" or on the "No Take List" is over $300.

I am thinking I should spend the money for a complete rockfish ID chart as "proof of intent" not to break the law.

Phil

DOGHOUSE26
11-13-2009, 10:27 AM
Did you guys know if a fish is on the DFG no take list you can't bring it back from Mexican waters, even if you fill out your declaration form. This also goes for short fish that have a size limit in California.

Mike

Not Busted, free to fish another day.

That's a good point to bring up to save us all a sure ticket; While reading some of this MLPA Stuff on BD they have a pretty good post which is a sticky which explains the change to the law regarding importing fish and actually i think it's a good one; keeping those idiots from bringing back 13" lings from the rockpile! However I'll miss those 15# Cowcod we occasionally find !

NoSlack
11-13-2009, 11:41 AM
Those that haven't read the post on importing fish on Bloody Decks, do it.

This should be the link, if not it's a sticky in the offshore reports.
http://www.bloodydecks.com/forums/offshore-reports-southern-california-usa/132454-rockfish-short-fish-mexico-answers.html

Phil

I recommend the book Petersons Field Guild to Pacific Coast Fished. I update my photos all the time. Check the sticky post in our general topic for the latest info I have.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51F4VDS42NL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Time Out
11-13-2009, 06:25 PM
Mike I have a question if we fish only in mex. do we still need a california fishing lic.?

At some point in the very near future fishing in california will be stopped, I bet the law chages very soon that will require CA lic even if you dont fish in CA waters.

Russ

NoSlack
11-13-2009, 07:09 PM
I believe I read you do not need a California license to fish in Mexico and import those fish back into the state. If I was doing that I would definitely fill out a declaration form.

If our fine state completely screws up the fishing, we have our friends to the south that welcome our 50 bucks a year for us to fish there.

Mike