PDA

View Full Version : re-paint stripes

REEL NASTY
12-10-2009, 08:41 AM
I want to re paint the stripe on the fly bridge. I was quoted $400 sounded steep. I'm sure I can do it myself. Does anyone have recomendations on what paint to use and how to prep.

Freespool
12-10-2009, 09:20 AM
I have used automotive paints in the past and they work great and hold up well.

DOGHOUSE26
12-10-2009, 11:21 AM
I think I paid a little less than that at the Blackman shop but I had alot of other stuff getting done at the same time.

Wa Mei
12-10-2009, 12:49 PM
I think I paid a little less than that at the Blackman shop but I had alot of other stuff getting done at the same time.

Jeff, you are letting me down...I was expecting some wise ass remarks lol.

Less than $400 bucks to take a boat in for anything sounds like a great deal!

REEL NASTY
12-10-2009, 12:50 PM
Steve at blackman is where the $400 quote was from, Mayby if I add a few mor things he might bring the price down, and get the original color.

Honeygirl
12-11-2009, 09:16 PM
If you need help let me know. We can do it for under 100 bucks. If you want it to last and look great, use a good topside L.P. I have been in the automotive painting industry for years and have restored numerous boats. I have all the tools we will need and it should only take about a half a day to do. Joe 562-810-9718

Professor
12-12-2009, 01:58 PM
If you need help let me know. We can do it for under 100 bucks. If you want it to last and look great, use a good topside L.P. I have been in the automotive painting industry for years and have restored numerous boats. I have all the tools we will need and it should only take about a half a day to do. Joe 562-810-9718

The bad news is you have to go to Catalina to get it done. :D

yellowfin1
12-13-2009, 03:03 PM
If you've got time, do it yourself. Recommend Sterling LP. Be warned that when you buy the LP, it isn't cheap. You'll also have to purchase the catalyst, and thinner. Oh, if you don't already have the sand paper, tack rags, and brushes/rollers you'll need that too. If you've never painted with LP, you'll really want to ensure that you follow directions to a "t". Make sure you pick a day that is going to have minimum temperature change and start early (right after any morning dew dries). You'll need at least two good coats. Hmmm, now your in it for at least $300 and probably close to 12 hours of work. Maybe it's better to pay $400 to have an expert do it?

REEL NASTY
12-14-2009, 12:38 PM
Boy they are proud of the Strerling LP $ 137 a quart. Joe I will give you a call later in the week, I probably wont get started for a few week's or waite till the weather allows, and even if I only save a 100 buck or so I'm sure it will be spent somewhere else.

Knot Now
12-14-2009, 09:29 PM
I have used Proline and its good stuff. They are a San Diego company next to Oil Filter Services. We paid about $100 a gal (wholesale). Usually they will give you the discount price as they mostly deal with shops.

Phil

Honeygirl
12-25-2009, 09:35 AM
Anytime, What color did you want. I still have a few colors left in my shop. Joe