PDA

View Full Version : 5/29 Fishing with Glenn

NoSlack
05-30-2004, 07:51 AM
Gleen and I have been tring to get to gether for some time now and talk halibut fishing San Diego style. We finally made it happen on Saturday. With neather of us having a crew lined up we combined forces and worked off of Glenn's boat.

We met up in Mission Bay at 6am with a plan to make the run down to the area off the Del. The ride down was sloppy, which made us both glad we were only going around the corner to fish today.

Once off the Del we started looking for bait to set up on. We never metered any bait and within a few drifts we made the call to get out of the slop and head for the calmer waters of the bay.

We found some bait holding along the channel edge and worked the area for more of the same(NADA). Buy now we've been at it for several hours and not put a scratch on a single bait. I'm getting a little concerned about my reputation and make the call to show Glenn my super secret gaurrenty to catch fish spot.

Not long after we get there this tide changes to a strong incoming, whitch always make this spot go off. The day is saved! Two hours on the spot produced a dozzen shorts, two keepers and 10-12 short WSB. Ripper bite to say the least.

It looks like Glenn will earn 18 points for his #5.8 halibut and possably another 12 point for a #6 WSB we released. I see nothing in the tournament rules about a fish being a keeper to qualify.

Mike

http://bocaboard.com/data/noslack/IM000726.JPG

Wizard
05-30-2004, 10:51 AM
Thanks for posting the report and for bringing me up to speed on some fun inshore fishing methods. Been chasing tuna so long, forgot how much fun it can be to stay close to home. Doing it again Monday.

Knot Now
06-01-2004, 11:18 AM
Mike,
Is that photo at your super secret spot?
I need all the help I can get as I have never caught a legal halibut on any boat. ;-)
Phil
Knot Now

NoSlack
06-01-2004, 11:55 AM
When all else fails I pull in there to finish off the last of the bait. With some tide movement the bait builds up around the shoal marker and the halibut, bass, short WSB and shortfin croaker move in to feed.

It's about 10 shorts for every keeper when they're biting. Most of the keepers are less than 10 pounds there. When the big ones move into the bay it's as good of place as any to find them. My daughter and I took a #28 off the spot last year.

Mike