PDA

View Full Version : Sand Dab City

yellowfin1
01-08-2010, 11:15 AM
Well my rockfish outing was plagued by about 50 potato chips (that's what I call em). The Sand Dabs were thick as could be. Every rock I dropped on had em. I know they are good eating but it does take 5 or 6 just to feed one person. In addition to the potato chips, I released numerous small Starries. I ended up keeping 1 whitefish, 3 starries, 1 green spot, and 3 bank perch. All caught at the lower 9. Nice day except the thick fog near Pt. Loma. I tried shallow, deep, and everything in between and could not find any vermillions. The release method for the small rockfish appeared to work pretty well. I used a milk crate with three 2lb weights tied to it, and 30 feet or line to lower it. Place the bloated fish on the water's surface, place the milk crate over it (face down), and lower the fish approximately 30' (about 2 atmospheres?). Almost all of them swam down after a few seconds at that depth. I could see them as they swam away in that clear water. A couple floated up but, I don't know why. Probably needed to lower them deeper?

Scott

DOGHOUSE26
01-08-2010, 12:58 PM
Wow Scott, what an interesting way to release rockfish, and brilliant I might add ! I've got to make one up because I hate nothing more than floating 5# Groupers after a fast limit when fishing in a tournament for big ones, and all those little fish too. Sometimes the guilty feelings outweighed the fun of the Tourney. How did you come up with this one Scott ?

If you're catching potato chips, either the current is so strong you're bait is not hitting your spots and/or you're in the wrong spot (sand). PM me.

NoSlack
01-08-2010, 03:53 PM
I made a smaller version of the Black Seabass release device for releasing unwanted cod. I keep it rigged up on a spare rod in the corner. Pinch thier lip, put the clicker on, freespool the rod and let them go. It takes about 1 pound of lead for every 5 pound of fish to get them to sink.

Mike

http://bocaboard.com/data//noslack/gsbdev.jpg

Time Out
01-08-2010, 09:09 PM
Mike

I have your device you gave Charlie and I can't wait to try it out.

Russ

I tried it on Marc but he kept jumping back in the boat

NoSlack
01-09-2010, 02:58 PM
If the one you have has a cable/wire, keep an eye on it or replace it with a piece of heavy mono. I lost my first one when the wire kinked and snapped.

Mike

Time Out
01-11-2010, 08:08 AM
Yes it does have cable 200lbs mono should work I think

Mike we fished Sunday off the cranes, More bait than I have ever seen whales ,dolphin, Birds no t sharks we gave a few hours and went in.

Russ

yellowfin1
01-11-2010, 01:05 PM
Jeff,

The guilt was getting the best of me too. I got this idea from my buddy who works at Scripps Institute. It worked for most every fish except the one's who's eyes were just completely blown up and foggy. I think those fish don't stand a chance no matter what method you use to release them. The milk crate works well. Only downside I see is that it takes up a little room on the deck. Other than that, you get a goof feeling when you pull it up and the fish is gone.