PDA

View Full Version : argh...I think my starter is going bad...

Wa Mei
01-10-2010, 07:43 PM
Well,

I manage to paint and prep the boat for the new slip without too much
issues...well, almost. Hoopnet Cat Island on Saturday and I think I found
the lobster nursery. Got 2 and bagged it early.

Work up early this morning and tried to turn on the motor...click click...
huh? No problem, I will switch it to the starter battery and again click click.
Crap! Checked my battery meter and I say 12v. Nice tow in from Vessel Assist to the new slip.

I Hook up shore power and proceed to clean the boat. I was about to start
removing the starter, but decided to hit the switch and she comes alive...wtf? Turn her off and tried again...click click? Finished washing the boat and hit the switch and she starts again!

Do you guys think my starter is going bad or do I have a battery problem?

DOGHOUSE26
01-10-2010, 08:21 PM
Battery Problem ! What size and type are you running?

Al Gagnon
01-10-2010, 08:53 PM
Verify the batteries have enough water. Mine were 3 years old and I had not checked the water level because of all the cros over cables would not allow me to pull the caps. I could not get my engines to start so I turned on my generator and used the battery charger to charge them for an hour. They started with help of starting fluid. When I got home I decided to just change them out. I pulled the batteries and bought new ones. Fluid level was way down below the plates. Maintenance, maintenance, maintenance. A lot of problems can be solved by asking your self, have I done the maintenance for this item. Good luck.

Wa Mei
01-10-2010, 09:21 PM
Battery Problem ! What size and type are you running?

Hey Jeff,
I use 2 6V trojans for the house. I do alot of sitting on the hook at the island and they have serve me well. They are only about 18 months old. I got a feeling my starting battery may have gone bad. I will take it out and have it load tested before I take the starter out.

Wa Mei
01-10-2010, 09:24 PM
Verify the batteries have enough water. Mine were 3 years old and I had not checked the water level because of all the cros over cables would not allow me to pull the caps. I could not get my engines to start so I turned on my generator and used the battery charger to charge them for an hour. They started with help of starting fluid. When I got home I decided to just change them out. I pulled the batteries and bought new ones. Fluid level was way down below the plates. Maintenance, maintenance, maintenance. A lot of problems can be solved by asking your self, have I done the maintenance for this item. Good luck.

I checked the fluids and they are good. I do carry a generator to run the squid light...duh, maybe I should have used it to charge the battery before I call for a tow.:eek:

Knot Now
01-10-2010, 09:41 PM
I Hook up shore power and proceed to clean the boat. I was about to start
removing the starter, but decided to hit the switch and she comes alive...wtf? Turn her off and tried again...click click? Finished washing the boat and hit the switch and she starts again!

It could be either. The starter solenoid had a disk that makes contact between the incoming current connection and the starter motor. If that disk has a "bad" spot the starter will just “click” until it rotates enough to “self clean” the disk. If the voltage is low activating the solenoid the contact might also be poor enough that the starter will not turn. Both conditions will cause the starter to fail.

DOGHOUSE26
01-11-2010, 08:01 AM
Hey Jeff,
I use 2 6V trojans for the house. I do alot of sitting on the hook at the island and they have serve me well. They are only about 18 months old. I got a feeling my starting battery may have gone bad. I will take it out and have it load tested before I take the starter out.

Are you using 1 or 2 starting batteries separate from your 6v Trojans? I know Russ on Time Out swears by 2 banks of 6 volt Trojans and he says he never has a problem. I just use 4-Delco or Interstate Deep Cycle Battarries and I get 3-4 years out of a set. Our Blackmans have an automatic switch solenoid which separaters the banks when the key is off.

Wa Mei
01-11-2010, 08:40 AM
Are you using 1 or 2 starting batteries separate from your 6v Trojans? I know Russ on Time Out swears by 2 banks of 6 volt Trojans and he says he never has a problem. I just use 4-Delco or Interstate Deep Cycle Battarries and I get 3-4 years out of a set. Our Blackmans have an automatic switch solenoid which separaters the banks when the key is off.

Hi Jeff,

I only use 1 starting battery. It has better cracking power than the 2 6v
trojans. However, the trojans are really good house batteries.

The more I think about this, the more I think it is the starter that is starting
to go. Normally, when the batteries are too low to start the motor, it will atleast try to turn or give you multiples clicks. I get only a click on this scenario.

It's worth the time to take it out and send it to Lewco and have them check it out along with getting the starting battery load tested.

Libre
01-12-2010, 01:57 PM
If you are getting multiple fast clicks, yes battery is low. If it's just one click that's your battery having plenty of juice trying but the starter doesn't go it just clicks once. So sounds like your starter is going bad to me. It will start randomly like that as knot Now mentioned because it eventually hits a good spot. And Eventually it will get bad enough and never start. Some times if you hit/tap on the starter that will get it to move enough to hit a good spot and start.

I'm no mechanic, just my .02 from experience.

Tony

Wa Mei
01-12-2010, 09:49 PM
If you are getting multiple fast clicks, yes battery is low. If it's just one click that's your battery having plenty of juice trying but the starter doesn't go it just clicks once. So sounds like your starter is going bad to me. It will start randomly like that as knot Now mentioned because it eventually hits a good spot. And Eventually it will get bad enough and never start. Some times if you hit/tap on the starter that will get it to move enough to hit a good spot and start.

I'm no mechanic, just my .02 from experience.

Tony

Thanks Tony. I agree that it is most likely a bad starter. Lewco Electrics
suggests that I check the battery and connections first. I will start there
and then proceed to take the starter out if neccessary.

Wa Mei
01-18-2010, 09:12 AM
Quick update...

I checked the starter battery and it is good. Still have the Green indicator.
All connections are also good. Batteries are fully charged and the darn thing
starts first try everytime with no hesitation or just a click.

I have done this 4 different days atleast 5 to 6 times a day. I can only think
that I may have let the battery drained during bottom painting or I might have had the inverter on all night...

hijole
01-18-2010, 07:56 PM
I have had 4 Delco 12v for over 20 years for about 4-5 years each.
About 2 or 3 years ago I had each of the red/+ cables corroding where they came out of the battery box and made a right angle turn to the charger and electric panel. The gauge of the cables was too small, OK 20 years ago but not today. I believe the size of the wires was changed just after mine was built.
I'm sure that's not a reason for the starter problem I just feel like typing

Wa Mei
01-18-2010, 08:36 PM
About 2 or 3 years ago I had each of the red/+ cables corroding where they came out of the battery box and made a right angle turn to the charger and electric panel. The gauge of the cables was too small, OK 20 years ago but not today. I believe the size of the wires was changed just after mine was built.

Now that is funny.

DOGHOUSE26
01-18-2010, 08:44 PM

Pepe I noticed the same thing about 5. years ago when I changed my 4 Delcos; I upsized my cables back to the solenoid and to the starter and it made a big difference. I know the starting cable was replaced again with the new engine install 2 Augusts ago.

hijole
01-19-2010, 03:11 PM
John helped me with the larger wire size. He is the one who told me the reason for the change.
I'm not exactly sure but I think mine had #6 cables and I changed them for #4. It made a big differance with all of the electrical, including starting.

Honeygirl
01-20-2010, 11:00 PM
ditto, changed mine to #1 wire no problems now!!! and I run alot of shit.

Wa Mei
02-02-2010, 09:51 AM
Well, it's looking like the starter has to come out...after 3-4 weeks of starting without any issues and a few local trips, I decided it's time to be back to
Catalina again.

Got to the island, fished a little and baited up the hoopnets. All set and ready right? Wrong!!! Turn the ignition and CLICK! Switch to the fully charged starting battery, CLICK!! Banged on the starter and she finally starts.

I got back to the slip and tried to remove the starter. Lots of PB blaster
and no go on the inner nut between the starter and the engine. It won. I went home with my tail between my legs. I will be back at it this weekend when I and fresh.

BTW, I did manage a couple of Lobster for dinner. Even kept a calico; which we steamed with soysauce and chives. I earned it!

Libre
02-02-2010, 05:43 PM
Bummer! But at least now you know and won't have to worry about it. Good job on the bugs and cali. Good eats!

Tony

Wa Mei
02-09-2010, 02:17 PM
Bummer! But at least now you know and won't have to worry about it. Good job on the bugs and cali. Good eats!

Tony

Thanks Tony. Just spoke to Lewco. solenoid and rusts were the issues.
I will have the starter back in time for the weekend!!!

Wa Mei
02-15-2010, 01:53 PM
I got the starter back from Lewco. It looks practically brand new!
Starts like a champion all weekend! Will be back at Catalina this
weekend!!!