PDA

View Full Version : Question- What's a used Blackman worth?

PAK
06-02-2004, 05:07 PM
Question?
Price on a 20'-1974 Blackman, repowered 3 years ago(4cyl Volvo i/o gas)w/trl
Going to look at it in a week, was told "good" condition!!!???
Any input would be great!
Thanks.
Paul

paulaklein@optonline.net

Wizard
06-02-2004, 05:48 PM
$15-16K depending on condition???

I see a 20' w/V6 and duoprop on Yachtworld for $18K.

This a local boat that someone in this club is selling?

NoSlack
06-02-2004, 08:39 PM
This probably the one you're talking about. Looks very clean from the photo.
http://www.followingsea.net/best%20of%20the%20best/Pictures/Mister%20Sea/SD%20BayBass%20Halibut.jpg

PAK
06-03-2004, 05:14 AM
Thanks for the info.
It's a long story, we work on different shifts on a boat in N.Y. Harbor. I didn't get much info, but the boats down South.
Do you think it's a solid hull being 30 years old?

KingFish
06-03-2004, 07:12 AM
is this the same boat that has a Featured Article writen about it "Rebuilding the Redeemed"

http://www.followingsea.net/memberarea/articles/redeemed/redeemed.htm

yellowfin1
06-03-2004, 08:38 AM
Hi Paul,

I read through the threads above and thought I'd chime in. I have a 1984 Blackman and granted it is not 30 years old but, I have have recently done a large amount of work on the deck and pulled my engine to get ready for a repower. I know that my boat was neglected several years and left with water in the bilge and it was also sitting in Arizona for some time. I did have a some soft wood on the deck in the cockpit which I replaced earlier this year. My worst fear was that I would pull the engine out and find the stringers and transom soaked with water. This was not the case. The deeper I dove into the hull in the bilge area, the more satisfied I was that this is a solid built boat! I feel that since replacing the little bit of wood that was wet in the cockpit area and re-fiberglassing the deck, that this boat is as solid as the day she rolled out of the Blackman's factory. If I were you, I'd climb around in every nook and cranny to determine if everything is solid, and of course test ride the boat to ensure the engine and other systems are sound. Check the trailer condition also. Then make a comparison with other comparible boats in the area. After doing this you should have a good idea of what the boat may be worth to you. It's hard to put a price on a boat just based on the make and year it was built. You've got to check it out good.

Good luck

PAK
06-04-2004, 05:53 PM
Thanks for the advise.
I think the boat is in Virginia.(he lived in SoCal and moved back east 4yrs ago w/ boat)Could it be the boat in that article? He's going to e-mail me pictures next week. Maybe I'll "try" to post a few and get some input.
You guys have a great website/club!
Thanks again.
Paul

NoSlack
06-04-2004, 07:22 PM
If the boat your looking at is the Redeemed, your gettting a sweet 20'er. I went over to Bob's house during the rebuild and was very impressed with the quality of the work he was doing.

If it's not Bob's old boat, take a real good look at the deck. Most of us with the 20-30 year old boats are starting to develope some soft spots in the deck. It's not a catastrofic problem, but you can count on spending 6 months redoing it in the near future.

Mike

The boat i posted the picture of is for sale in San Diego for about the same money. http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/3/2/71467532.htm